X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dod

Opinion time.

My grandson was stillborn on 10/29 @ 1AM. (at less than 3 weeks to full term; if that matters) They knew on 10/28, and induced labor. He could have passed away 10/27 or 10/28.

How would you record dod? 27-28-29th, assuming, as I do, that life begins at conception?
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Re: Dod

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
    Opinion time.

My grandson was stillborn on 10/29 @ 1AM. (at less than 3 weeks to full term; if that matters) They knew on 10/28, and induced labor. He could have passed away 10/27 or 10/28.

How would you record dod? 27-28-29th, assuming, as I do, that life begins at conception?
    So sorry for your loss.
    Death certificates for stillborns that I've seen have the dod as of the date the child was "born", i.e. taken out of the womb. That's what I use.
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

I don't record stillborns. Putting aside all of the philosophical ideas and beliefs that most of us have relative to the beginning of life, I feel that genealogy is the record of people who lived and breathed outside of their mother's body. Stillborns fall outside of that definition.

Another reason that I don't record them is that most women who have had stillborns are very sensitive and quite frankly do not want the information shared with lots of cousins.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        ... I feel that genealogy is the record of people who lived and breathed outside of their mother's body. Stillborns fall outside of that definition.

Another reason that I don't record them is that most women who have had stillborns are very sensitive and quite frankly do not want the information shared with lots of cousins.
        While I certainly agree with your concerns, there are advantages to recording stillbirths and miscarriages, as they provide information about intervals in which other children of that mother could not have been born, and can help assure that you haven't missed other children (for, example, a couple who has had children roughly every two years, but one gap isn't filled in.) This is probably more of a historical issue, where records aren't complete. Just because you record something doesn't mean it has to be shared, of course!
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Bob, This baby was loved!

He was delivered, held, kissed, had a public obituary, cremated, and had a memorial in his honor with 100's attending. This is how the mother & father wanted it.

Whether or not I/we agree with the handling of any aspect of the death, it happened and needs to be recorded and preserved for future generations. He has a name and a place in the hearts of many.

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
            Bob, This baby was loved! ..... He was delivered, held, kissed, had a public obituary, cremated, and had a memorial in his honor with 100's attending. This is how the mother & father wanted it.....
            IMHO, this is a rare exception and even I would probably record this little person.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Firstly my sympathies at your loss - it can't be easy talking about that on a Forum full of strangers.

I think I would record as, born and and died 29th October , and add whatever note you wish to in the detail or memo section etc. Is there an official Death Certificate? What date went on that? As that might influence how you record it.
              Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Yes, there was a death certificate. Dates are both the same.
                I have entered birth & death as the same.

FWIE, cause of death stated 'undetermined' at issuance. Just yesterday, was the autopsy released, but other than fetal hemorrhaging, no cause was found. Sad.

Thanks to all who expressed sympathy. Daughter-in law & son are already planning to have another child.

Comment

Working...
                X