ReunionTalk  

Go Back   ReunionTalk > Using Older Versions of Reunion

Old 02 January 2007, 04:00 PM

Question Need to convert from Reunion 4.0

Hi,

I am helping a friend's Dad install a new PC and he wanted to know if I could transfer his Reunion 4.0 files which he has been working on on his old Macintosh Powerbook 165c (1993). Sure enough I could export the data to a GEDCOM file and save it to a floppy.

However, the file format is pretty old and all of the Windows programs I have tried only support GEDCOM 5.5. I have not been able to find any programs that can do an upgrade from this old version of GEDCOM and, well, I do not own a MAC or Reunion myself.

So my question is can someone help me out with upgrading the GEDCOM file?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Kevin McNamee
Old 11 January 2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Need to convert from Reunion 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcnamee
Hi,

I am helping a friend's Dad install a new PC and he wanted to know if I could transfer his Reunion 4.0 files which he has been working on on his old Macintosh Powerbook 165c (1993). Sure enough I could export the data to a GEDCOM file and save it to a floppy.

However, the file format is pretty old and all of the Windows programs I have tried only support GEDCOM 5.5. I have not been able to find any programs that can do an upgrade from this old version of GEDCOM and, well, I do not own a MAC or Reunion myself.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Kevin McNamee
Kevin,

I am not sure why you haven't received a response to your question yet (or perhaps you have, but not through ReunionTalk). Usually the ReunionTalk regulars are all over helping someone out in your position.

If you still need help, send your GEDCOM to me. I will try to import it using the current version of Reunion, then export it in 5.5 format, then send it back to you.

My email is bdarveaux"at"earthlink"dot"net

--Blaise A. Darveaux
Old 08 February 2007, 10:17 AM

Smile Re: Need to convert from Reunion 4.0

Hi Blaise!

Thank you for your offer. I will send you the file asap.

Much appreciated,
Kevin McNamee
Old 20 February 2007, 05:16 PM

Thumbs up Re: Need to convert from Reunion 4.0

Hi Blaise!

Thanks for the help. The file conversion worked perfectly.

Best regards,
Kevin McNamee
Old 11 October 2008, 05:56 PM

I am experiencing the same problem as kmcnamee! I have an older version of Reunion 4 for Windows, which worked great on my old computer, but over time the computer outgrew it's usefulness and I was forced to upgrade. The new PC does not have "A" drive, so therefore does not recognize the program, so after switching back and forth a few times, I was able to then GEDCOM my mega-thousand-name family tree file to a floppy, and then burn it to CD. However, the computer also only regonizes Gedcom 5.5 or higher. SO............. is there anyway I can upgrade the Gedcom on my old computer to produce a file that the new PC will recognize? Or what are my options?

Thanks in advance

Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcnamee
Hi,

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Kevin McNamee
Old 13 October 2008, 09:59 PM

If you're moving to a later version of Reunion Leister will convert the version 4 file for you.

http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/versio...s/version4.php
Old 15 October 2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robinson
If you're moving to a later version of Reunion Leister will convert the version 4 file for you.
Hello:

Two questions for Marie: What version of Windows is on your old PC? What version of GEDCOM does your Reunion produce?

Was there a version of Reunion for PC later than version 4, to which Leister would convert the file? If not, there has to be another solution, since it looks like Marie is migrating from an old PC to a new PC.

I have never used GEDCOM. But I reviewed this thread from its beginning, and I notice that Kevin McNamee's problem migrating from an old Macinstosh to a PC and its solution by Blaise A. Darveaux which "worked perfectly" occurred over 20 months ago.

I also notice in our shelved Reunion 4 for Mac hard copy manual (bless it!), that Reunion 4 worked with GEDCOM 4 files and with aspects of the then draft GEDCOM 5.x. So the transition in GEDCOM must have been a very common happening in the mid-1990s.

There may be a number of possible solutions to Marie's current problem. I am assuming that Marie's Reunion is producing a GEDCOM 4.x file. Perhaps Marie can verify this.

1) Someone here in ReunionTalk, who is familiar with converting GEDCOM files and who still has an old PC, convert the PC Reunion 4 file to GEDCOM 5.5 or higher.

2) Marie find an old PC genealogy program which can work on her old PC, then import the old Reunion for PC version 4 file, and finally produce a GEDCOM 5.5 or higher file. Does anybody here know what program(s) to look for? If would help if Marie identifies the version of Windows on the old PC.

3) Marie consult with folks at the Family History Library
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
to find a version of the Personal Ancestral File (PAF) which can do the job, either on her old PC or on the new one.

I hope that one of these strategies can work for Marie, or that someone here has a better idea.

Researching Marcoux, Côté, Dion, Turcotte
Old 15 October 2008, 02:50 PM
Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Poulin
Was there a version of Reunion for PC later than version 4, to which Leister would convert the file?
Reunion 4 was the last version that we made for Windows. (it was sold to Sierra). We have our own process for converting these files internally, which is why we recommend sending them to us for conversion (which is a free service, BTW).
Old 24 January 2009, 02:34 PM

Red face Re: Need to convert from Reunion 4.0

I stumpled on this thread while looking for an answer to my problem. I started with Reunion for PC and upgraded over the years to Generations Deluxe by Sierra. I have now bought a Mac and Reunion 9. I would like to convert the uds from my PC to Reunion 9 on the Apple. I seem to have read somewhere there is a service I can send a zipped uds file and that they will convert it for the Mac?
Old 24 January 2009, 05:16 PM
ttl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Marissen
I stumpled on this thread while looking for an answer to my problem. I started with Reunion for PC and upgraded over the years to Generations Deluxe by Sierra. I have now bought a Mac and Reunion 9. I would like to convert the uds from my PC to Reunion 9 on the Apple. I seem to have read somewhere there is a service I can send a zipped uds file and that they will convert it for the Mac?
http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/versio...s/version4.php

ReunionTalk > Using Older Versions of Reunion > Need to convert from Reunion 4.0