How to interpret Immigration processing port codes on older Green Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to interpret Immigration processing port codes on older Green Cards

My mother immigrated in the early 50s from Canada to marry a Wyoming cowboy, raise a family, and take up the practice of nursing. I have her old Green Card with all the arrival/processing location information in two codes. An internet search floods my screen but I'm unable to find a lookup source for those codes, to identify where she arrived in the US.

Would someone be so kind as to point me toward an authoritative index?

Thank you.

Interesting. According to Immigration and Naturalization Services Genealogy branch, they are swamped with requests and have a six month backlog, so they sent me to Freedom Of Information, which responded in days, that her record is not available.

Comment

To be correct, your mother EMigrated FROM Canada and you're trying to find out which US port she IMMigrated TO. Assuming she was a Canadian citizen and then later became a US citizen, that information would be on her Petition for Naturalization and also on another document called the Certificate of Arrival. I've found scans of many of these documents on Ancestry.com.
      Steve Thomas
      iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Working...
      X