This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treetops, or similar

I'm trying to see where, geographically, my family started, but I can't find a Report that formats suitably, ie will show my 'roots', but with clear lines to them so I can see each branch at a glance, with dob and pob.

The Overview is too short, the Treetops have no dates or graphics, Relationships have no graphics. The Fan chart is probably the clearest, but no dates or places: you can get dates by double clicking, but this works less well on paper! The Relative chart is too complicated if you just want the bare bones and the Cascading is again too much and however big a sheet you print on you can only get 5 generations a page.

The best is something I did yesterday and the file calls itself just 'Chart': I can't now see how I did it, but the lines are so jumbled up they are difficult to trace after a couple of generations. There is a snippet at http://tinyurl.com/lvadayw if anyone can tell me how I did it!

Cheers, Colin

Re: Treetops, or similar

Originally posted by colinc View Post
    There is a snippet at http://tinyurl.com/lvadayw if anyone can tell me how I did it!

Cheers, Colin
    This looks like a Pedigree Chart that was limited to one page.

If that is the case, you would begin with yourself and choose Charts > Pedigree.

Then, enter the appropriate number of generations between 2 and 7.

Next, check the "Limit to one page box."

Then, verify the "Box setup" is set to show only names.

Finally, click "Create Chart."

I hope this information is helpful in getting the chart you want:-)
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
      This looks like a Pedigree Chart that was limited to one page.

If that is the case, you would begin with yourself and choose Charts > Pedigree.

Then, enter the appropriate number of generations between 2 and 7.

Next, check the "Limit to one page box."

Then, verify the "Box setup" is set to show only names.

Finally, click "Create Chart."

I hope this information is helpful in getting the chart you want:-)
      Thanks Deb as usual.

I guess I could not replicate it as I was not in my own card when I tried.

But is there anything in between the 1pp version and the whole list? I need 10 generations to show the tree tops, but when it is not confined to 1pp it is rather too spread out.

Not a Reunion problem but I could sort of fix it by choosing an absurdly large notional paper size. However, whatever I do in Preview or Acrobat it prints the length of the tree to the width of the paper [unlike with text rotating the image rotates the sheet with it, so effectively makes no difference].

Cheers, Colin

Comment

But is there anything in between the 1pp version and the whole list? I need 10 generations to show the tree tops, but when it is not confined to 1pp it is rather too spread out.
        You could try this...

1. Choose Charts > Pedigree (or Create -> Pedigree Chart, if you are using Reunion 9).

2. Then, select "Define Layouts" from the layout menu.

3. Next, click the Add Layout button to create a new layout called "Names only."

4. Then, going down through the Settings, select these options...

Person Fields - uncheck all fields
        Family Fields - uncheck all fields
        Name Setup - select "Name"
        Append to Names - uncheck all fields
        Event Format - uncheck all boxes
        Flag Format - any option is okay
        Include Siblings of... - select "Nobody"
        Include Spouses of... - select "Source person" if you want.

5. Click Save and create the chart for the appropriate person and appropriate number of generations.

6. After the chart opens, choose Tree -> Orientation and select "Left-To-Right" from the Orientation menu.

7. Finally, choose Tree -> Squeeze Pedigree.

I hope this is helpful for you in getting a chart similar to what you want:-)
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Hi Deb,
          Just out of curiosity after seeing this thread, I tried this following your directions exactly, and got a chart with 128 pages! Not sure what happened but I tried again, and found that after Saving in your step number five, BEFORE clicking the CREATE button, I needed to choose "Limit to one page" on that same main panel for the pedigree chart.

As soon as I checked the "Limit to one page" box, the number of generations it would include changed to 7 ( I had put 10). But the good news is, I did get everybody, with name only, for seven generations, on one sheet of paper. The names in the seventh generation are right on top of each other, so it's clear why you can't get more than seven on here -- no more room for "branching" two people out of one name when trying to make the 8th gen.

Thanks, I'm happy to see how to do this.
          Susan
          Last edited by Susan Freas Rogers; 09 February 2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

You could try this...

1. Choose Charts > Pedigree (or Create -> Pedigree Chart, if you are using Reunion 9).

2. Then, select "Define Layouts" from the layout menu.

3. Next, click the Add Layout button to create a new layout called "Names only."

4. Then, going down through the Settings, select these options...

Person Fields - uncheck all fields
            Family Fields - uncheck all fields
            Name Setup - select "Name"
            Append to Names - uncheck all fields
            Event Format - uncheck all boxes
            Flag Format - any option is okay
            Include Siblings of... - select "Nobody"
            Include Spouses of... - select "Source person" if you want.

5. Click Save and create the chart for the appropriate person and appropriate number of generations.

6. After the chart opens, choose Tree -> Orientation and select "Left-To-Right" from the Orientation menu.

7. Finally, choose Tree -> Squeeze Pedigree.

I hope this is helpful for you in getting a chart similar to what you want:-)
            This worked fine for me, so thanks again Debra.

It also had the additional benefit of showing me I had the same person in twice: he is both my GGGG-g-father on my father's side and my 6G-g-father on my mother's! Not sure how I make them one person. How will it then chart?

But I also get a 'fit to paper problem': as I usually use the charts as pdfs I have a load of notional paper sizes set up so any shape will more or less fill the 'paper' [and be sensibly printable on a plan printer if needs be'. However, when they get to this sort of size there is no way I can work it: it will go from being, say, four sheets, to a small fraction of one sheet, however I orientate it or scale it. I could only get a fit for it by opening the pdf in Photoshop, cropping, saving and then having to OCR it to get it readable again, a bit circuitous!

Is there some obvious way to do it in Reunion 9?

Comment

This worked fine for me, so thanks again Debra.

It also had the additional benefit of showing me I had the same person in twice: he is both my GGGG-g-father on my father's side and my 6G-g-father on my mother's! Not sure how I make them one person. How will it then chart?
              That is up to you. If you check the "Remove duplicates" box in the Create Pedigree Chart window, one line can be removed. And, as a result, you would see double-asterisks at the point of duplication. If you do not check that "Remove duplicates" box, both lines will be included.

But I also get a 'fit to paper problem'...it will go from being, say, four sheets, to a small fraction of one sheet, however I orientate it or scale it.
              Based on your description, it sounds like the chart was saved as a Graphic file while it was still 4 pages long when opened in Reunion. If that was the case, it would appear to be a thin line when opened on a single page.

Is there some obvious way to do it in Reunion 9?
              General suggestions on how to reduce the size of a chart can be found in your manual by searching for "reduce size." If you are wanting specific suggestions relating to a specific chart, please send it to me...

sales (at) leisterpro (dot) com
              Deb Stuller
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

That is up to you. If you check the "Remove duplicates" box in the Create Pedigree Chart window, one line can be removed. And, as a result, you would see double-asterisks at the point of duplication. If you do not check that "Remove duplicates" box, both lines will be included.
                What I have is two people of the same date, and different versions of the same name as at the time of my data entry they came from different sources. I need to concatenate the information in the Name, Occupation and Notes fields. I now know they had six or seven children, but at the moment in Reunion only shows one child to each [not the same one, but both correct in as far as they go] and only one of the entries with a spouse.

BUT given that he is my GGGG-g-father on my father's side and my 6G-g-father on my mother's I'm not sure how I make them one person without doing irreparable damage and do I just correct the father and spouse cards before concatenating and add the children later?

I also fear it may be beyond charting. On the other hand I guess this sort of thing must be relatively common.

I've never got any joy from cmd-z, but I guess I can save the file before doing anything complicated and rename a duplicate …

Cheers, Colin

Comment

What I have is two people of the same date, and different versions of the same name as at the time of my data entry they came from different sources. I need to concatenate the information in the Name, Occupation and Notes fields. I now know they had six or seven children, but at the moment in Reunion only shows one child to each [not the same one, but both correct in as far as they go] and only one of the entries with a spouse.

BUT given that he is my GGGG-g-father on my father's side and my 6G-g-father on my mother's I'm not sure how I make them one person without doing irreparable damage and do I just correct the father and spouse cards before concatenating and add the children later?

I also fear it may be beyond charting. On the other hand I guess this sort of thing must be relatively common.

I've never got any joy from cmd-z, but I guess I can save the file before doing anything complicated and rename a duplicate …

Cheers, Colin
                  If you are truly convinced that the two entries are the “same” person, the MERGE function is your friend. It will create one entry from the existing multiple entries. Once merged, you will need to inspect the resulting entry for any duplicate data, like two birth dates or death dates, and if necessary, manually massage that data. However, the real advantage of using MERGE is that it carries all children from BOTH entries to make one (happy?) family!

CAVEAT: You will need to “normalize” (make the same) the names and dates for BOTH individual entries for Merge to work!

As for interwoven linkages, fear not, Reunion will pick them up and correctly report both sides of the family tree.
                  Arnold
                  -----
                  RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Working...
                  X