This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropbox for Family Cards

I noticed that several of the examples of Family Cards have used Dropbox to store them.
    Can anyone tell me how they achieved this? Do you need to have a paid account with them?
    Thanks
    Harriet

Re: Dropbox for Family Cards

Originally posted by Harriet Webb View Post
    I noticed that several of the examples of Family Cards have used Dropbox to store them.
    Can anyone tell me how they achieved this? Do you need to have a paid account with them?
    Thanks
    Harriet
    Hi Harriet,
    Please go to this thread -

My message 18 shows step-by-step instructions for putting your web cards on Dropbox.

You should be able to host the web project on the free version of Dropbox. I have 2 on there now. When you open the project, it looks just like a website.

Hope this is helpful,
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Hi Kaye

That sounded like the answer to my problem. Unfortunately Dropbox appears to have a limit of 3000 files in one upload. I checked the size of my family cards and there are over 5000 files. Dropbox looks a good idea if you only want to share part of the family tree.

Thanks for your help, hopefully the information will be useful to others.

Harriet
      Last edited by Ella Webb; 17 March 2015, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Harriet.... Apple and oranges!

You have one file with 5,000 records. You need not be concerned about file count.

Not knowing from what you have said as to the size of your family file, there is the possibility of running into a size restriction if you have a really large file. With 5,000 records, it is unlikely but one never knows, so I am just alerting you to that possible pothole.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

I noticed the previous replies are all from 2012 and it makes me wonder if things have changed. I'm sure my Dropbox app is up to date, but I cannot find the "public folder" so often referenced. No matter what I try the *.toc file opens with no web formatting and all links return 404 errors. What am I missing?

Comment

Whether you are looking at it locally on your Mac or at the Dropbox site, you should see a folder labeled Public that looks like the attachment. At their site, you must be signed in to your account to see it.
            Attached Files
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Hahn View Post
              I noticed the previous replies are all from 2012 and it makes me wonder if things have changed. I'm sure my Dropbox app is up to date, but I cannot find the "public folder" so often referenced. No matter what I try the *.toc file opens with no web formatting and all links return 404 errors. What am I missing?
              Hi Dave,

You may need to setup a Public Folder in Dropbox. The newer versions of Dropbox do not automatically supply a Public Folder.

Someone mentioned recently, that you can no longer make a Public Folder on the free version of Dropbox. I just checked and that is now true. Here is the message in the Help Section (I searched Public Folder-then you have to scroll down a ways).
              Creating a Public folder

"Dropbox links give you everything you need to share and preview files and folders. However, if you’re just a diehard fan of Public folders, click here to enable one on your account. Currently only Pro and Dropbox for Business users can enable Public folders, so you may have to upgrade first."

However, it won't hurt to try to change a regular folder into a Public Folder. You can try my directions from post #18 at

Also look at post #31 at the above link to see what Susan did.

Edit: Hmm, the above link doesn't seem to work for me. Go down to #2 in this thread. That link worked for me.

Hope this works for you.
              Kaye
              Last edited by kmgenealogy; 13 April 2015, 08:28 PM.
              Kaye Mushalik
              -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
              -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
              -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
              X