This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to display Event memo?

I've brought my GEDCOM from TMG into Reunion, and I am generally happy with the import results. However there are a few things I need to fix.

My OCCU events are brought in as *New [OCCU] events. I figured out that I can set their display text to read Occ and get them to display on the family view. However, my OCCU events have a data, place, and memo (which contains the occupation), and I can't figure out how to get the memo to display. Reunion will only display the date and place.

I have a similar issue with *new [EDUC] events that were imported.

I realize Reunion thinks these are "Facts", but a person can have multiple occupations at different dates and places, and I want to treat them as events.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Rick

Re: How to display Event memo?

You can change what they say in Reunion Preferences ------> Fields, and then click on the field to highlight it.

Double click the *New [OCCU] and you can change it to what you want it to say. Check the other fields there and make changes as necessary.

And while in there, you can click on the "Move" button to move entire fields from one type to another.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Thanks, I understand that, and it doesn't solve the problem. I still see no way to get it to display the any event memo field. The Occupation memo contains the actual occupation, so I want it to display.

When I go to the Family View preferences I can add my *New[OCCU] to the family view, but it doesn't show the memo. There is a checkbox "Memo only", which is not what I want, but there should be a checkbox to say "Add Memo" that would display the date place AND memo.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Hagen View Post
        Thanks, I understand that, and it doesn't solve the problem. I still see no way to get it to display the any event memo field. The Occupation memo contains the actual occupation, so I want it to display.

When I go to the Family View preferences I can add my *New[OCCU] to the family view, but it doesn't show the memo. There is a checkbox "Memo only", which is not what I want, but there should be a checkbox to say "Add Memo" that would display the date place AND memo.

Rick
        It's note really subtle, but you can add an occurrence of the field, and for this 2nd occurrence, you choose "Memo only". So you will have the event, and below it the event memo. See my example below: it's for the Birth event field (in French: Naissance), but it applies to any event. I just put "test" in the memo field.
        Attached Files
        Réal Rodrigue {Rodrigue, Rioux, Labrecque, Pearson ...}
        http://www.rodrigue.phpnet.org/
        Reunion 10.0.6 & 11.0.6; Reunion for iPad; Reunion for iPhone
        MacBook Pro — OSX 10.10.5 ; iPhone 5 — iOS 9.0.2 ; iPad Mini 2 Retina — iOS 9.0.2
        Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigue View Post
          It's note really subtle, but you can add an occurrence of the field, and for this 2nd occurrence, you choose "Memo only". So you will have the event, and below it the event memo. See my example below: it's for the Birth event field (in French: Naissance), but it applies to any event. I just put "test" in the memo field.
          Thanks! That does work, and seems to be the best we can do. I wish the developers wouldn't make us find these work-arounds and would make the program more flexible.

Rick

Comment

Difficult to differentiate OCCU and EMPL particularly when Reunion treats an imported OCCU as a fact when it was an event, with associated note/memo in a.n.other application. People commonly have more than one occupation with several employers in the course of their working lives. You have had excellent replies and one more to add, whilst staying with the Reunion method of handling employment information:
            1. Use Reunion - Preferences - Fields - Move, to map New [OCCU] facts along with associated notes to EMPL events i.e. your notes in the memo field.
            2. OCCU fact(s) on the family page could be a comma separated list derived from the EMPL events i.e. a single compound fact.
            Dave Walton
            Tree - Walton, Haggerston, Chambers, Munro, Haught, Schlager, Scannell...
            iMac M1, Macbook Air M2, MacOS Ventura 13.2, Reunion 13

Comment

Working...
            X