This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedigree Chart Export

Reunion 10 could export transparent PNG's.

I don't see how to do that in Reunion 11. Open in Preview.
    This is a PDF file.

How do I get a transparent PNG?

Re: Pedigree Chart Export

Sometime during the development of Reunion 11, Apple disabled the ability to export a PNG file from the Preview app with transparency.

However, the good news is that when you're looking at a chart in Reunion 11, you can hold down the Option key, click the File menu, and select the old familiar Save Graphic File menu item. And get your PNG with transparency.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thanks much!

That works for me.

Mike Weeks

Comment

Perfect thanks! I was playing with some charts in Reunion 11 and exasperated that I couldn't do lots of the easy editing that I used to be able to do--then I found the commands I needed. Why are they hidden?!
        Bradley Jansen
        OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Comment

Originally posted by B Jansen View Post
          Perfect thanks! I was playing with some charts in Reunion 11 and exasperated that I couldn't do lots of the easy editing that I used to be able to do--then I found the commands I needed. Why are they hidden?!
          It's a long story; but it'll be back in the menu in the next maintenance update.
          Frank Leister
          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Having trouble with the print quality of charts when I export them to InDesign.

If I print directly from Reunion the quality is fine, but I want the title to be farther from the top border so that I can bind the landscape chart into a book. Therefore, I eliminated the title, and I tried different ways of taking the chart into InDesign. No matter how I do it (copy & paste, TIFF in clipboard, save Graphic file), the text within the boxes is blurry, both on screen and when printed. I tried two different printers, too.

I did this many times in the past without having this problem, but I have just recently upgraded to version 11 (from 9). Help!

Comment

I would expect copy and paste with the TIFF in clipboard option UNchecked to work for you. If it doesn't, use the save as graphic file command and choose the PDF format option in the Save window.
              Tim Lundin
              Heartland Family Graphics
              http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by dianedassow View Post
                Having trouble with the print quality of charts when I export them to InDesign. . .

I did this many times in the past without having this problem, but I have just recently upgraded to version 11 (from 9). Help!
                This is indeed strange, but I think the strangeness is in InDesign. What I *think* is happening is that InDesign is importing a rasterized version of the pdf file as a placeholder into the actual pdf, for display purposes, and that when printed, the pdf file ought to print at full resolution. (But from your description, it apparently doesn't.)

But if instead of using InDesign you use Illustrator and place the graphics file pdf generated by Reunion in an Illustrator document, it will *not* be rasterized, and you can edit without loss of information. You can transfer the edited information from Illustrator to InDesign in the usual way and it will remain vectors.
                Dennis J. Cunniff
                Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
                  I would expect copy and paste with the TIFF in clipboard option UNchecked to work for you. If it doesn't, use the save as graphic file command and choose the PDF format option in the Save window.
                  :I agree that sounds like it should work, but it doesn't. Somehow a rasterized version winds up in the InDesign document.
                  Dennis J. Cunniff
                  Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
                    :I agree that sounds like it should work, but it doesn't. Somehow a rasterized version winds up in the InDesign document.
                    Thank you, all, for taking the time to talk about this, and for pointing me in a direction!

Having no experience with Illustrator, I instead fiddled around in the Advanced Print options in InDesign. (Used a copy & paste to get the chart there.) I unchecked Print as Bitmap. Under Transparency Flattener, I selected High Resolution. This gave me a decent printout!!

Comment

Originally posted by dianedassow View Post
                      I instead fiddled around in the Advanced Print options in InDesign. (Used a copy & paste to get the chart there.) I unchecked Print as Bitmap. Under Transparency Flattener, I selected High Resolution. This gave me a decent printout!!
                      Another thought: check InDesign's preferences and make sure that you've set the display to high quality (View > Display Performance > High Quality Display).

This won't affect printing, but it does make a difference in display.
                      Dennis J. Cunniff
                      Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
                      X