X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Illegitimate Children

Hope someone can help me on this.

King John of England had at least two illegitimate children by separate mistresses: (1) Joan of England by Clemence; and (2) Richard, Lord of Chilham, by Isabelle de Warenne.

I know the steps for showing both Joan and Richard as illegitimate children. My specific question is whether there is a way to show both Clemence and Isabelle as mistresses of King John, without showing them as "spouses." If I add them as "spouses" to King John's listing, that's the way they show. Is there a way to show each of them on a family page, without having them linked to King John as a spouse?

Many thanks!

Re: Question about Illegitimate Children

Originally posted by rjacobs View Post
    King John of England had at least two illegitimate children by separate mistresses: (1) Joan of England by Clemence; and (2) Richard, Lord of Chilham, by Isabelle de Warenne.

Is there a way to show each of them on a family page, without having them linked to King John as a spouse?
    Add them as spouses, then mark them as unmarried.
    Attached Files
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Dennis:

If I do that, and then create a pdf book, will the mistresses show up as married, or will they simply be linked to King John?

Comment

Dennis:

One additional question: you show King John as 23GF. What are the steps to add that to the person's listing?

And, I did exactly what you suggested, but when I created a PDF book it still showed King John as "married" to the mistresses.

Rich

Comment

Dennis:

If I do that, and then create a pdf book, will the mistresses show up as married, or will they simply be linked to King John?
          It shows up the same as in a register report. So, for Charles II, it shows his wife as "On 21 May 1662 Charles II first married Catherine of Braganza", etc. then "He second did not marry Barbara Villiers", "He third did not marry Margaret Carteret", "He fourth did not marry Lucy Walters" and so on through his list of mistresses (and illegitimate children).
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

One additional question: you show King John as 23GF. What are the steps to add that to the person's listing?
            Rich,

you go to Family View Preferences, click on the "Couple" button, then on "Inside the Couple Buttons". You should see a list of fields in the "Field Information" box. If "Relationship" isn't there (and from your description it probably isn't), click on "Add Field" and select "Relationship".

And, I did exactly what you suggested, but when I created a PDF book it still showed King John as "married" to the mistresses.
            I'm not sure why that should be. I just tried it and got "He did not marry" for mistresses. What do you mean by it showing him as married? I tried a few things... There's a pull-down menu, "Format", you can use when creating a book. If you set it to "Register", I think you get what you want (what I quoted in my other post). If you use "Family History", it does seems to list both mistresses and wives as "spouses" and "other spouses", so that's probably the format you're using. The other format, Ancestors, also gives what you want ("He did not marry Clemence") for ancestors. So probably you should just avoid using the Family History format. Does that work for you?

(BTW, Joan of Wales was legitimated by Pope Honorius III, in a document that also explicitly stated that that did not make her eligible to succeed to the throne of England.)
            Last edited by Dennis J. Cunniff; 29 July 2015, 06:41 PM.
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Dennis:

Final question: to set the relationship, I assume I need a "key" person (like me personally, or perhaps my son or daughter) from whom the relationship is calculated. How is that set?

Many thanks again!

Comment

Final question: to set the relationship, I assume I need a "key" person (like me personally, or perhaps my son or daughter) from whom the relationship is calculated. How is that set?!
                Yes, you can set the source person like this (there are other ways, but this is easy to remember):

go to the source person's card
                change the sidebar to "Relatives"
                click-drag the source person's button over to the sidebar and release it. (i.e., drag & drop)

Reunion will calculate the relationships and show them. You can change the source person any time you like.
                Dennis J. Cunniff
                Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks very much: that's terrific, it works, and thanks for spending the time explaining this to me!

This is one of the things that I most enjoy about this board: feedback from more experienced users, and feedback (sometimes very extensive) from Reunion people themselves!

Comment

Thanks very much: that's terrific, it works, and thanks for spending the time explaining this to me!
                    Happy to help. Glad all is working!
                    Dennis J. Cunniff
                    Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
                    X