This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF Book Compression

Is compression of the PDF Book files possible? If so, what utilities work best? Or does compression lessen the quality of the book to make compression undesirable?

Re: PDF Book Compression

Originally posted by Rodgers H View Post
    Is compression of the PDF Book files possible? If so, what utilities work best? Or does compression lessen the quality of the book to make compression undesirable?
    Yes, it's possible and you can do it in the Mac's Preview app. But, 'yes' it does generally reduce quality as the basic way to compress a PDF is to reduce DPI output settings, so you need to decide what level of compression gives you the most acceptable output, which may also depend how you want to use the PDF file.

There is also a substantial number of free online PDF compression services. Just search 'Compress PDF' in your browser.

Mervyn

Comment

When I open a multiple-page Reunion PDF book in the Preview app, I don't see tools to compress or change the dpi resolution.
      Frank Leister
      Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
        ...when I open a multiple-page Reunion PDF book in the Preview app, I don't see tools to compress or change the dpi resolution.
        To reduce PDF File size in Preview:

1. Open the PDF Book Report and choose File > Export...

2. Click the 'Quartz Filter' pop-up menu, then choose 'Reduce file size'

Just tried on a Text only Book Report produced from Reunion and file size was reduced from 3.7Mb to 239k. No serious degradation of text on screen but standard front and back graphics cover images were a little less sharp.

Comment

Thanks for correcting me.
          Frank Leister
          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
          X