This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highlighting PDFs

I have learned how to highlight information in a PDF document by placing a colored rectangle around the information I want to call attention to. When I import the highlighted document into a person's or family's media section, the colored rectangle does not show up. Is there a way to import the document along with the highlighting?

Re: Highlighting PDFs

Originally posted by Lora D View Post
    I have learned how to highlight information in a PDF document by placing a colored rectangle around the information I want to call attention to. When I import the highlighted document into a person's or family's media section, the colored rectangle does not show up. Is there a way to import the document along with the highlighting?
    How are you creating the highlight (i.e., in which program)? Are you re-saving the .pdf after you do so?
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

I am creating the highlight in Preview by selecting "Tools" and then "Annotate" and then "Rectangle" and finally choosing the thickness and the color of the rectangle. It is saved and the rectangle shows up perfectly in Reunion/Pictures but not in Multimedia.

Comment

I am creating the highlight in Preview by selecting "Tools" and then "Annotate" and then "Rectangle" and finally choosing the thickness and the color of the rectangle. It is saved and the rectangle shows up perfectly in Reunion/Pictures but not in Multimedia.
        I tried your method and got exactly the results you describe. I thought that it might be different if using Adobe Acrobat, but after trying that method (Tools->Comments->Highlight), the highlight also cannot be seen from within Reunion.

I'm guessing that whatever is being used to view .pdf files in Reunion, it has the option to view comments turned off, and that the highlights are considered part of the comment layer and so is invisible. Or put another way, viewing "annotation objects" is off.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Dennis, your reply led me to think about how Reunion displays PDFs. You're right that it apparently isn't displaying in Preview when a Multimedia item is opened by just clicking on it in the Multimedia screen. I looked around and clicked on a few things and found that when the hammer icon at the bottom of the opened Multimedia item is selected, "Open in Preview" is offered as a choice. When I selected that option, sure enough, the colored rectangle I use for highlighting shows up. I would prefer the highlighted area to appear when I just click the Multimedia item, but at least there IS an option for it to display within Reunion. Thanks for your reply and for leading me in the direction of a solution. I very much appreciate this forum.

Comment

when the hammer icon at the bottom of the opened Multimedia item is selected, "Open in Preview" is offered as a choice.
            Thanks for pointing out that choice... I think probably when the workweek starts we may hear from the Reunion graphics maven what is going on for sure....
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

It is not necessary to draw a rectangle. Preview has a highlighting tool. For convenience, add it to the toolbar (right click in empty space in bar; choose Customize; drag highlight tool to toolbar). It highlights exactly like the ink highlighter sitting in your pen/pencil cup. When you use it, you will see that it offers five colors plus underlining and strikethrough.
              Attached Files
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Dennis, your reply led me to think about how Reunion displays PDFs. You're right that it apparently isn't displaying in Preview when a Multimedia item is opened by just clicking on it in the Multimedia screen. I looked around and clicked on a few things and found that when the hammer icon at the bottom of the opened Multimedia item is selected, "Open in Preview" is offered as a choice. When I selected that option, sure enough, the colored rectangle I use for highlighting shows up. I would prefer the highlighted area to appear when I just click the Multimedia item, but at least there IS an option for it to display within Reunion. Thanks for your reply and for leading me in the direction of a solution. I very much appreciate this forum.
                I'm glad to know about the "Open in Preview" option. Another work-around which I use: Annotate the PDF in Preview. Then PRINT the file to PDF using the same file name (replacing the original PDF file). The new file will display the annotations in Reunion's multimedia view, although I've found that the color is not always retained.

Comment

Thanks Bob and Lawrence for your suggestions. I'm going to give those a try. I had a feeling you all would have some tips I didn't know. Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                  X