This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impact of Duplicates when changing to RU 11

I have RU 7. My family file has over 2000 names and 40+ generations. Unfortunately, I have at least 100 duplicates in my file -- probably more.
    I am considering upgrading to RU 11. Will I be any better or worse off, given the duplicates in my file, when I change over to RU11?
    Another question - if I am to attempt to clean up the duplicates, should I do it in RU 7 or wait until I convert to RU 11?

Re: Impact of Duplicates when changing to RU 11

I would do it in Reunion 11 - it's a nerve wracking process at the best of times, but Reunion 11 will let you do it with more surety and ease than Reunion 7.

My main secret to merging duplicates is to study it all and know what the end result of the merge(s) will be so you can achieve that end.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by bill gulledge View Post
      I have RU 7. My family file has over 2000 names and 40+ generations. Unfortunately, I have at least 100 duplicates in my file -- probably more.
      I am considering upgrading to RU 11. Will I be any better or worse off, given the duplicates in my file, when I change over to RU11?
      Another question - if I am to attempt to clean up the duplicates, should I do it in RU 7 or wait until I convert to RU 11?
      I agree with Roger that you should upgrade before you clean up duplicates. One additional suggestion is to backup before you do any match and merge. As Roger said, "It is a nerve wracking process," and you should have a backup in case your nerve wracking becomes Reunion wrecking.
      Bob Goode
      Reunion 12.0; ReunionTouch 1.0.8; OS 10.14.2

Comment

As I understand it, when I upgrade to RU11 from RU9, RU converts a copy of my RU9 family file to RU11 format, and maintains the original family file in RU9 format as well. After I upgrade, will I still be able to work in RU9 using the RU9 file, while I "get comfortable" with RU11. I understand that any changes made to the RU9 file will not be reflected in the RU11 file.
        I assume that when I am conformable with RU11, I can recreate a new RU11 file from the latest RU9 file and switch over to RU11.
        Will this work?

Comment

Originally posted by bill gulledge View Post
          As I understand it, when I upgrade to RU11 from RU9, RU converts a copy of my RU9 family file to RU11 format, and maintains the original family file in RU9 format as well. After I upgrade, will I still be able to work in RU9 using the RU9 file, while I "get comfortable" with RU11. I understand that any changes made to the RU9 file will not be reflected in the RU11 file.
          I assume that when I am conformable with RU11, I can recreate a new RU11 file from the latest RU9 file and switch over to RU11.
          Will this work?
          This is all correct.

Also, after you make the final switch to Reunion 11, it's a good idea to keep your Reunion 9 family file as a backup.
          Gregg Witmer
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
          X