This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording Near-Marriages

On a tangent to the current thread "When Parents Are Not Partners"...

I'm interested in finding out how others record marriages that are only intended. I've found quite a number of family marriage licenses in county record books that are "returned unexecuted". In other words, there was an engagement or an intention to marry but for some reason the wedding itself was never performed. (This is different from the cases discovered in which the marriage was performed and recorded, but with the annotation "Do Not Publish.)

Obviously, such cases could be recorded in note or event fields, but it seems to me that perhaps another status for the marriage event itself could be made available, in addition to Marriage, Unmarried, or Common Law. Perhaps a status labeled "Marriage Not Finalized" that would be broad enough to cover instances of broken engagements or parental barring of a marriage. It seems to me that such "almost" marriages were significant enough in the lives of the intended spouses that such situations would merit a more formal notice as a near-marriage, rather than being relegated to a note field.

Thoughts
    Bryce W. Self
    Redwood City, CA

Re: Recording Near-Marriages

There is an 'engagement' event as well as a 'marriage license' event under the Couples tab. When I find evidence of an engagement of a marriage license, I record the information as an event. I don't know if this will do what you need, but it works for me.
    Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

I have a different viewpoint than you describe. In most cases, if there was no marriage, I don't record a "spouse" unless children were produced.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce Self View Post
        I've found quite a number of family marriage licenses in county record books that are "returned unexecuted".
        In a fresh twist, I've just run across a new reason for an unexecuted marriage license--an AL county license annotated "This license was returned to this office marked marked [sic] unexecuted. Reason given: marriage was executed in State of Mississippi." So just because a license document is "unexecuted" does not necessarily mean that the marriage itself was not.
        Bryce W. Self
        Redwood City, CA

Comment

Working...
        X