X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full stops

Dear all

Another niggly issue with the program itself. Are full stops necessary at the end of memos?

I could experiment but I don't know whether all the possible outputs are the same?

Basically, I don't want double full stops when memos are reproduced in reports.

But also I'd like to know how to turn off memos being printed, and whether you can also disable them on a case-by-case basis?

Re: Full stops

The expression "full stops" must be British thing. What are you talking about?
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
      The expression "full stops" must be British thing. What are you talking about?
      You need to get acquainted with Google. It is not a British "thing". It is merely the way they identify the dot at the end of a sentence.

You may call it a period, whatever that means.
      Nic Maennling
      Lanark, Ontario
      Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Nic Maennling View Post
        You need to get acquainted with Google. It is not a British "thing". It is merely the way they identify the dot at the end of a sentence.

You may call it a period, whatever that means.
        A full stop indicates the end of a sentence where a comma is only a partial stop, ie a pause. A period is a monthly occurrence for women 😉
        Jan Powell
        in Wellington, New Zealand
        http://www.rellyseeker.nz/
        --
        Apple/Mac since 1987, Reunion since 1993

Comment

Originally posted by scatchardfamily View Post
          Dear all

Another niggly issue with the program itself. Are full stops necessary at the end of memos?

I could experiment but I don't know whether all the possible outputs are the same?

Basically, I don't want double full stops when memos are reproduced in reports.

But also I'd like to know how to turn off memos being printed, and whether you can also disable them on a case-by-case basis?
          I never put full stops/periods at the end of memos.

I do, however, use them in Notes as I would in ordinary text anywhere else.

But I've never experimented with this anywhere.

John.

Comment

So is the idea that memo text is reproduced after the fact is in reports. But notes goes at the end as a kind of separate entry?

Comment

Like I said -- a British thing. I am not being derogatory. At any rate, now I know what a full stop is.

If you Google as suggested, several entries start like this: In punctuation, the full stop (Commonwealth English) or period (American English) is a punctuation mark placed at the end of a sentence. The full stop glyph is sometimes called a baseline dot because, typographically, it is a dot on the baseline.

Please note the term "Commonwealth English" and I rest my case.

That brings us back to your original question about usage and disabling. I think more specific information is needed to answer those questions. Which reports? Specifics about where the periods occur or, alternately, don't occur.
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Working...
              X