This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing media to a mac

Hi, I need some help please, I was using Family Tree maker and have changed over to Reunion also on a new mac laptop, I have got the data & notes over, but cannot get the media to go over, can anyone suggest what to do please, the media is very important, many thanks...........Jenny

Re: Changing media to a mac

You'll need to copy the multimedia files from the original computer, perhaps using a flash/thumb drive. Then copy them to your Pictures/Reunion Pictures folder.

Assuming the GEDCOM file you used to transfer your data had references for the multimedia, you can then go to the main menu in Reunion and choose Reunion>Preferences>Multimedia>Repair Multimedia Links. Reunion should then be able to find your pictures.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      You'll need to copy the multimedia files from the original computer, perhaps using a flash/thumb drive. Then copy them to your Pictures/Reunion Pictures folder.

Assuming the GEDCOM file you used to transfer your data had references for the multimedia, you can then go to the main menu in Reunion and choose Reunion>Preferences>Multimedia>Repair Multimedia Links. Reunion should then be able to find your pictures.
      Thank you very much, will try it..........Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
        Thank you very much, will try it..........Jenny
        Hi, tried exactly like you suggested, the search came back with no media, is their any other suggestions please........Jenny

P.S. everything was put on a gedcom file, only the media that never came through

Comment

I could be wrong but I don't think the Repair Multimedia Links option will work for the simple reason that there are no links to repair. She just moving in from another program, thus no previous Reunion links. She probably will have to do the linking one by one manually.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
            Hi, I need some help please, I was using Family Tree maker and have changed over to Reunion also on a new mac laptop, I have got the data & notes over, but cannot get the media to go over, can anyone suggest what to do please, the media is very important, many thanks...........Jenny
            Assuming you still have the GEDCOM file, open that with a text editor like TextEdit or TextWrangler and then do a search for the filename of one of your media items.

If that filename is not found, then the GEDCOM file didn't contain the Media, so you will either

1 - have to add the media to Reunion manually one at a time

or

2 - have to figure out how to get a GEDCOM file that contains the media. If you're not using a very recent version of Family Tree Maker then that will be the problem since not all versions of Family Tree Maker include the media links in a GEDCOM file export.

Roger
            Roger Moffat
            http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
            http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              She just moving in from another program, thus no previous Reunion links.
              That's not exactly right - if the GEDCOM exported from FTM contains links to the images, Reunion can import those links. The links would just be a file path, they're not anything specific to Reunion.

If the GEDCOM contains those links, and the original media files (with their file names unchanged) can be transferred to the Mac, Reunion should be able to locate them and repair the links so that they point to the media files on the Mac.

The problem is that the GEDCOM may not include links to the media, or it may include URLs to the media items on Ancestry's website (which can only be accessed if logged into their website). If either of those is the case, then Reunion won't be able to link up the media. In the latter case, Reunion will have HTTP links in the Multimedia that can be double-clicked to open the item on Ancestry's website.

Jenny - if you open your family file in Reunion 11 on your Mac, and go to:

Reports / Multimedia Usage

Are any media items listed there?
              Mark Harrison
              Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
              X