This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max size of chart?

I am trying to generate a descendant chart covering about 9 generations, which will have about 2300 people represented. I have been working up to this size, with 7- and 8-generation charts that have 900 and 1500 people, respectively. They draw easily.

However, when I try the 9-generation chart, Reunion will indicate it is "building the chart" and then start the rotary cursor spinning. After a minute or so, I can tell it has hung up because the cursor stops spinning. Plus, I watch Activity Monitor for Reunion CPU usage, and it drops to 0.1%.

Have I hit an upper limit on the number of boxes that can be drawn, or a max physical chart size? I checked the help file and could not find any statement as to the limits on charts.

Any info would be appreciated.

Mike Phelps
    Mike Phelps
    Goodyear, AZ
    Researching: PHELPS, WATKINS, SPENCER, ALSFASSER, WEMHOENER, BLANCHARD, MARQUETTE, CHAVEZ, VALENZUELA

Re: Max size of chart?

I don't know what the specified limits are, but we've never hit any at HFG. 9 generations shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if perhaps there's a multimedia link problem, or a person with a problem with their link(s).
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      I don't know what the specified limits are, but we've never hit any at HFG. 9 generations shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if perhaps there's a multimedia link problem, or a person with a problem with their link(s).
      Tim,

I realized last night that I have done relationship charts that have many more boxes than this one. Not sure what is going on here, but I will try some things, like removing the preferred pictures. If I figure it out, I will post.

Mike
      Mike Phelps
      Goodyear, AZ
      Researching: PHELPS, WATKINS, SPENCER, ALSFASSER, WEMHOENER, BLANCHARD, MARQUETTE, CHAVEZ, VALENZUELA

Comment

Well, it turns out that when I turned off the option to use the preferred picture with each person, the chart was drawn easily for 9 generations. It even worked fine for 11 generations.

Has anyone else ever observed this behavior?
        Mike Phelps
        Goodyear, AZ

Comment

I vaguely remember something like this coming up a while back, and the problem turned out to be a bad multimedia link with that incident. Have you tried running a missing media report?
          Tim Lundin

Comment

I vaguely remember something like this coming up a while back, and the problem turned out to be a bad multimedia link with that incident. Have you tried running a missing media report?
            Have not done that. Will check for it now. Thanks.
            Mike Phelps
            Goodyear, AZ

Comment

Tim,

That was the problem. Had one file that had been assigned to a person who would be in this descendant chart, but it had been deleted. Oddly that one photo was NOT the preferred photo for that person, so it would not have shown up in the chart anyway.

Removed the link and redid the chart with 13 generations, and it ran fine. Thanks for the tip!

Mike Phelps
              Mike Phelps
              Goodyear, AZ

Comment

Tim,

Well, I spoke too soon. When I redid the chart before my last post, I neglected to turn on the flag for using preferred pictures. So of course it worked okay.

Realizing this, I went back and tried it again. No luck. Same spinning cursor that eventually stops spinning and the process hangs up. Something else going on, I guess.

Mike Phelps
                Mike Phelps
                Goodyear, AZ

Comment

This may be getting beyond what a user can troubleshoot, but it does seem like there might be a person buried in your family file that may be the culprit, likely in that 9th generation.

I wonder if you can go to the children of the original source couple and make descendant charts from each of them to start isolating where the problem is (assuming--possibly incorrectly--that there's a problem person to find in the first place).
                  Tim Lundin

Comment

This may be getting beyond what a user can troubleshoot, but it does seem like there might be a person buried in your family file that may be the culprit, likely in that 9th generation.

I wonder if you can go to the children of the original source couple and make descendant charts from each of them to start isolating where the problem is (assuming--possibly incorrectly--that there's a problem person to find in the first place).
                    I get inconsistent results. I tried various children a few levels down from the top person in the tree. Of the three brothers, two of them worked fine, but the third hung the charting process as before. So I went to the two children below that couple and tried them individually. Both work fine on their own.

At this point, I'm just going to avoid using the preferred picture option in the chart. I know the whole tree works down to at least 15 generations for that case. It is not critical to have the pictures present. There is something going on here, but I'm not able to spend the time to debug it. I know it is not a missing media file because the media report shows nothing missing now.

Thanks for the help.

Mike Phelps
                    Mike Phelps
                    Goodyear, AZ

Comment

Working...
                    X