This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

annotated pdfs

I annotated a pdf in Preview and then added it as a multimedia file to Reunion. The pdf displays but the annotation (a red box to highlight one item on the pdf) does not. How can I get the annotation to appear? As an experiment I converted the pdf to a jpg and to a png. In both those cases, the annotation shows up in Reunion. However, with the pdf, I get the option to enlarge the image whereas with the jpg or png, I do not. Since the image is a map, I much prefer the enlargement capability.

Re: annotated pdfs

Originally posted by Fred K View Post
    I annotated a pdf in Preview and then added it as a multimedia file to Reunion. The pdf displays but the annotation (a red box to highlight one item on the pdf) does not. How can I get the annotation to appear?...
    One way I found to get the annotation to appear in the PDF file is to do the following...

1. Open the PDF file (i.e., let's call it file "A") in Preview where the annotation does appear.

2. Export it as a relatively high quality JPEG file.

3. Open the JPEG file in Preview and export it as a PDF file. (Name the exported PDF file "B" so it is not confused with the original PDF file "A.")

4. Link PDF file "B" appropriately in Reunion.

Based on my testing, the annotation still appears in PDF file "B" after it was linked to a person in Reunion. And, when zooming in on the image within Reunion, the image stays clear.

Incidentally, I will pass a note onto our engineers to see if we can do anything about the initial problem with the annotation not appearing in the PDF file originally linked in Reunion.

However, in the meantime, I hope this is a viable alternative
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

I annotated a pdf in Preview and then added it as a multimedia file to Reunion. The pdf displays but the annotation (a red box to highlight one item on the pdf) does not. How can I get the annotation to appear? As an experiment I converted the pdf to a jpg and to a png. In both those cases, the annotation shows up in Reunion. However, with the pdf, I get the option to enlarge the image whereas with the jpg or png, I do not. Since the image is a map, I much prefer the enlargement capability.
      I've had this problem also, and not just with Reunion. I have not pinned down just when it occurs. It first came to my attention when sending annotated files to correspondents who used Adobe Reader. Now, Reader seems to display the annotations added by the latest version of Preview, but not Reunion. My workaround in Preview is to print the annotated document to PDF. Then the annotation becomes part of the document instead of metadata; but it can no longer be edited.
      Lawrence 🍷
      Researching: Moore (MD & SC), Dozier, Dickerson (MD), Sturgis (MD), Jenrette, Mincy (SC & NC), Barnhill (GA, SC & NC)l, Hutson (SC), Getsinger (SC), Gibson (SC), Johnson (SC & NC)

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence E Moore View Post
        ...My workaround in Preview is to print the annotated document to PDF. Then the annotation becomes part of the document instead of metadata...
        Good idea
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

It's always been hit and miss when I tried to save annotated documents and I never could pinpoint the reason! I not only prefer, but, my older eyes NEED enlarged documents if I want to read them. Saving as a pdf only allows enlarging 200% in the media window - I usually need it larger - so I right click on the thumbnail in the multimedia sidebar and select "Open in Preview". This allows me to enlarge it much more than 200% and it works for BOTH pdfs and jpegs!

Comment

Working...
          X