This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organization

Hi all, I'm new to using Reunion, and I'm wondering what the best way to organize my family. I guess my question is, when would it make sense to start a new family file? Thanks!

Re: Organization

Sounds like a chicken or egg question. Just get started .... OR be more specific about what you are asking.

Seriously, are you also new to doing genealogy? Were you doing the family in another software? If so, the first thing to do would be to import a GEDCOM file created by that other program into Reunion as a new file.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Not sure whether this answers your question, but I'd say start by entering yourself and your immediate family, then your parents, then grandparents, and so on. Keep it all in a single Reunion familyfile.

Comment

If you're not new to genealogy and you have your tree in another program (or on Ancestry, etc.) you can export it as a GEDCOM file (.GED) and import it into Reunion so you won't have to type all that stuff in again.

If you are doing your tree and a spouse's as well, I would set those up as two separate files in Reunion. But others may have a different preference.

Comment

Hallo mhouston,
          I would carry out a trial of a 100 or so entries or perhaps four generations and make a point of the following;
          1 Have one file only. In, Reunion, there is nothing to be gained by having separate files for you and your wife's family. This becomes especially useful when you travel or attend an event and have everything neatly in one file. You are linked to your wife and her family , so why make separate files !?
          2 EVERY TIME you enter someone or something about that that person, enter a source for the info. Get used to using Reunion's sources AND the logs feature. You will thank yourself so much for doing this in years to come. ENTERING A SOURCE for an EVENT, FACT OR PERSON HAS TO BE THE GOLDEN rule of using Reunion or any other Family History software.
          3 Try all the buttons and see what happens ! You can't break it and you can see many different effects and functions, flags, lists , reports, perspective events , timelines , charts, and so on. Try printing too.
          4 Use the online manual, a very powerful and useful feature of Reunion
          5 Set yourself a target. for example, why are you doing this? To see what Reunion is like maybe, or to see how your tree looks when printed out.? Have a clear objective and see how Reunion delivers this for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on
          Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

The reason I keep my wife's and my files separate is that "islands" (unrelated groups of people) in my wife's file that we entered to research some of her brickwalls can be more easily kept separate from my data should I want to export her GEDCOM to one of her relatives. I know I could use flags to try to keep them distinct, but I don't want to go to that much trouble. It's easier to know that everything in my wife's file is about her family and everything is mine is about mine. Let's just say that there have been times when I was very glad that they were separate.

It's also nice with separate files to be able to have both myself and my wife be source persons so that the relationships are displayed correctly.

But your mileage may vary... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post
              The reason I keep my wife's and my files separate is that "islands" (unrelated groups of people) in my wife's file that we entered to research some of her brickwalls can be more easily kept separate from my data should I want to export her GEDCOM to one of her relatives. I know I could use flags to try to keep them distinct, but I don't want to go to that much trouble. It's easier to know that everything in my wife's file is about her family and everything is mine is about mine. Let's just say that there have been times when I was very glad that they were separate.

It's also nice with separate files to be able to have both myself and my wife be source persons so that the relationships are displayed correctly.

But your mileage may vary... :-)
              If you have no children, this makes partial sense,

BUT it is much easier to separate the file and send what you want (you have to mark people to include anyway).

Also, if you end up having a shared ancestor, you would never know.
              Mary Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post
                If you're not new to genealogy and you have your tree in another program (or on Ancestry, etc.) you can export it as a GEDCOM file (.GED) and import it into Reunion so you won't have to type all that stuff in again.

If you are doing your tree and a spouse's as well, I would set those up as two separate files in Reunion. But others may have a different preference.
                I have been on this forum for several years and have learned a lot. I really treasure replies from donworth and rclrocco - they are always informative and kind at the same time. Thanks to you both for all you have taught me. This time I loved that you had different answers!
                Terri Works - Fifth Generation Californian
                Using Reunion 11 and High Sierra OS

Comment

Working...
                X