This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Clipboard Procedure for Making Corrections

I've read the tutorial and several post, but am still having difficulty understanding and using the clipboard to correct errors. I achieved my goal by moving every person from a family to the clipboard and then moving them back to their proper places. Fortunately I was dealing with a very small portion of a tree, only about eight people. Here is what I had.

Son A was linked to an incorrect father, I do not know who is correct father is. Son A was married with three children, and two of the children were also married with one child each. I moved Son A and his Wife A to the clipboard and then double clicked Son A so as to start a new branch for him. I then dragged Wife A to match with the newly placed Son A. My assumption was that all of the remainder of the family, children and children's spouses, would fall into place, but that didn't happen. I had to go in and manually drag all of the children to the clipboard and then to the newly created family.

My question then, is that the way it is supposed to work? If instead of eight parents and children I had 50 or 100, would I need to move each one to the clipboard and then to the new family?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!
    Charles

Re: Correct Clipboard Procedure for Making Corrections

Originally posted by Charles Larkins View Post
    ...I achieved my goal by moving every person from a family to the clipboard and then moving them back to their proper places. Fortunately I was dealing with a very small portion of a tree, only about eight people...

My question then, is that the way it is supposed to work?
    Your way did work.

However, in the future, you may want to try it in one of these two ways...

1. Begin at the family view of Son A and Wife A (where they are shown side-by-side and have their children shown under them).

Then, drag the incorrect father to the clipboard.

This will remove the link between the incorrect father and Son A. The wife and children of Son A will still be linked as usual.

2. Or, begin at the family view of the incorrect father (where he is either shown alone in the center of the family view or is shown beside a spouse in the center of the family view).

Then, drag Son A to the clipboard.

This, also, will remove the link between the incorrect father and Son A. The wife and children of Son A will still be linked as usual.

The key, in this situation, is to not drag from the center of the family view. Only drag "children" from the Children area or "parents" from the Parent area of the family view.

I hope you find this information helpful in moving forward
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Deb,

Working from a duplicate copy of my file, I followed your first suggestion and moved the incorrect father to the clipboard. It worked, as far as I can tell everything lines up and looks correct. The father is still connected to his wife and other children, and Son 1 is listed as an "island" and still connected to his wife and children.

One more question. Since I moved the father to the clipboard, do I just leave him there? Again, everything appears fine, but he remains on the clipboard.

Thanks!
      Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Larkins View Post
        Since I moved the father to the clipboard, do I just leave him there? Again, everything appears fine, but he remains on the clipboard.
        It's okay to delete him from the clipboard. The icon beside his name in the clipboard should be a "link," which means "he" is not really in the clipboard, only the "link" that connected him to Son 1 is in the clipboard.

To delete that link from the clipboard, click on it and select "Remove Link from Clipboard" from the Clipboard Tools menu (i.e., the hammer icon) at the bottom of the Clipboard sidebar.

I hope this information is helpful
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Deb,

Your information was very concise and clear, everything worked exactly as you stated. And even though this left sided, or is it right sided, brain guy doesn't quite understand why it all works, it does work and all is well.

Thank You!!!
          Charles

Comment

Working...
          X