This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point Multimedia to External Drive

I am moving all my family history photos to my external drive to free up my computer. I can easily link up the photos individually to a folder on the external drive, but is there a way to accomplish this in a batch.

PS. Don't ever change the file name of the photos without telling Reunion. I do have a mess on my hands. It will just take time to reorient some photos.

However, I still have some large folders of photos that I will be entering into Lightroom and then onto the external drive. What is the easiest way to do this in bulk (if I can) - speaking of Reunion only (I have no problem doing this in Lightroom).

Thanks

Re: Point Multimedia to External Drive

Originally posted by mardicar View Post
    I am moving all my family history photos to my external drive to free up my computer. I can easily link up the photos individually to a folder on the external drive, but is there a way to accomplish this in a batch.
    Yes. As long as your photos have unique file names. If that's the case, then it's a simple matter of moving the files to your external drive, removing them from the internal drive, telling Reunion what folder(s) contain the images (in Preferences > Multimedia > Multimedia Search Folders) and, finally, using Reunion's Repair Multimedia Links button (also located in Preferences > Multimedia.) In a nutshell, Reunion will search for the files, by name, based on where you tell Reunion they're located -- what folder, or folders, house them.

For more info, click a ? button in Reunion and search for: repair multimedia links

PS. Don't ever change the file name of the photos without telling Reunion...
    This is not true, and hasn't been true since the release of Reunion 10. (The exception is moving media files to a different volume.)

Once a multimedia file is linked to a person, family, or source record, the multimedia file can be moved and/or renamed on the same hard drive and Reunion will automatically keep track of the file. (Actually, the Finder keeps track of the file and tells Reunion it's new location/name.) Thus you won't be breaking links to the original picture files if you reorganize or rename them in the Finder. You don't need to manually relink pictures or tell Reunion where they've gone — if the files still reside somewhere on the same hard drive.

I still have some large folders of photos that I will be entering into Lightroom and then onto the external drive. What is the easiest way to do this in bulk...
    I don't understand what you're asking.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Re: Point Multimedia to External Drive

"I still have some large folders of photos that I will be entering into Lightroom and then onto the external drive. What is the easiest way to do this in bulk..."

Never mind about that question. You answered it. I don't know what happened as I had photos all over the place and finally figured out how I want to organize them. Some of the same photos were in different folders with different file names and now many duplicates went to the trash so I have to go find the ones with the correct name and re-establish the links. It is a mess, but I am down to only 480 image files to straighten out! It is a nuisance, but a lesson learned, and I am getting through it.

Thanks for your help.
      Last edited by mardicar; 08 August 2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X