Sources - from Gedcom transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sources - from Gedcom transfer

I am new to Reunion and am looking at transferring data from Legacy via Gedcom. In various tests, I note that what was one source in Legacy, say the 1870 US census, has become hundreds of individual sources in Reunion, seemingly one version for each different individual, all using the same basic source info.

How does one avoid this, or is it the different source details for each census record/person that are creating these extra sources? - surely a source and a source detail are two different animals, even if somewhat related?

I have a fairly mature database and the thought of adjusting 30,000+ apparent sources down to maybe 2,000 actually different sources is somewhat daunting. It would be nice if I could simply merge the main sources, and have the details just adjust to the change, but that doesn't seem to work. Thoughts?

Re: Sources - from Gedcom transfer

Hi Ed,

I'm not familiar with Legacy, but it sounds to me like Reunion has recognised each source detail (or citation) as a separate source.
    What are the GEDCOM tags that Legacy uses for Source and Source detail?

In Reunion, the citation detail field is limited to 250 characters, and it's also not possible at this time to attach a media file to a citation - only to a source. As a result, some people tend to create a different source for each citation. It results in a lot of sources, but allows you to be very specific and include a media item (pdf, doc, jpg, whatever...) for each source.

Teresa
    Teresa Collis

ex-Roots, ex-UFT, ex-TMG
    Reunion for Mac 13.0 (build 221018)
    Reunion Touch for iPad 1.0.18
    (macOS Ventura 13.1)

Comment

Working...
    X