show divorce with dotted line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

show divorce with dotted line?

In a tree view or descendant chart, I'd like to show a divorce as a dotted line, as is done in some other programs. How do I do this in Reunion?

Re: show divorce with dotted line?

In a descendant chart, Reunion puts couples together in a single box, and adds boxes connected with lines (green is default) for each couple/family the descendant is a part of. These lines can be changed from solid to dashed in the tool bar. I suspect this might not be what you're looking for, but it seemed worth mentioning in case it helps in any way.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      In a descendant chart, Reunion puts couples together in a single box, and adds boxes connected with lines (green is default) for each couple/family the descendant is a part of. These lines can be changed from solid to dashed in the tool bar. I suspect this might not be what you're looking for, but it seemed worth mentioning in case it helps in any way.
      Hmm. OK, let's try another approach. I'm a real Reunion novice, so bear with me. I'm developing a tree for my big extended family and converting from Legacy mainly because that program gives me no way (that I've found) to indicate a divorce on a chart! So far, I really like Reunion, but the issues I've encountered so far are, well, counterintuitive.

Back to Reunion. In the tree view, spouses appear in adjacent boxes. So can I dot the connecting line to show a divorce? That would be MUCH simpler than manually adding spouse boxes for every couple in the descendant chart! But I haven't seen an obvious way to edit a tree view.

It seems like each of the two similar charts (tree and descendant) gives me half of what I need. It's unclear to me why Reunion would insist on descendant-chart couples being in a single box with an ampersand. What is the rationale for that? I haven't seen it in other programs.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey View Post
        It seems like each of the two similar charts (tree and descendant) gives me half of what I need. It's unclear to me why Reunion would insist on descendant-chart couples being in a single box with an ampersand. What is the rationale for that? I haven't seen it in other programs.
        It's just the way it's done in Reunion. I like to think of it that Reunion is family centric as much as it is person centric, so each couple is put together.

With multiple spouses, there's a separate box with the descendant and that spouse linked to the box that contains the descendent and first spouse. Dotted lines for a divorce might not make sense this way, but a possible other way to include the divorce info is to add it as text to the divorced couple's box. This can be done manually or you can edit the chart layout in the Chart creation panel to include that data automatically.

The tree view is a slightly different animal. It can be saved to be used or printed as a chart, but is primarily intended as a file navigation and orientation tool.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
        X