Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relationship between ancestor and me

Hello,

I looked into Reunion Help and this forum and could not find the answer to my question. Sorry in advance if it was already answered!

I am using Reunion 11. I have around a 1,000 relatives. What I would like to be able to do is to select a specific ancestor and have Reunion giving me the most direct connection between this ancestor and me... is this possible? Right now I find it difficult to see how I am connected to someone who is 4 or 5 generations away!

Thank you,

David

Re: relationship between ancestor and me

Originally posted by David Baud View Post
    I am using Reunion 11. I have around a 1,000 relatives. What I would like to be able to do is to select a specific ancestor and have Reunion giving me the most direct connection between this ancestor and me... is this possible? Right now I find it difficult to see how I am connected to someone who is 4 or 5 generations away!
    David,

There are several ways you can do this.

[1] if you're always going to be concerned about the relationship with you, you can have Reunion calculate everyone's relationship to you. With your family card showing, click on "relatives" in the Navbar (the left hand panel on the screen). The right hand panel will switch to "Relatives". Click and hold on your button on your family card and drag and drop it anywhere in the right hand panel. Reunion will calculate what your relationship is with everyone and put a list in that panel. You can see your relationship there, or (and I don't remember if this is the default, or if you have to change the view to do it) on their family card. Reunion will remember these relationships until you tell it to recalculate them, so if you add someone new you will have to repeat the process

[2] if you are going to be looking for the relationships of lots of pairs of people, not always involving you, you click on "Find" in the Navbar. You will see a section there titled "Find relationship between two people". You choose person 1 and person 2, then hit the "Find Relationship" button. Reuntion will calculate the relationship and display it. You can then hit the "Create Chart" button to generate a chart showing the connection.

You can find a more detailed explanation if you search the manual for the phrase "Finding the Relationship Between Two People", or if you have trouble you can ask for more help here.
    Last edited by Dennis J. Cunniff; 06 March 2017, 04:40 AM.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Re: Dennis' number 2... When relatives ask how is cousin A related to cousin B, I'll use the Open in Preview command in the Chart's File menu to create a copy of the chart in PDF format and then email the PDF to them.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Thank you very much to Dennis and Bob for your quick reply! Exactly what I needed and kudos to Leister for their well done online Help: once Dennis pointed out to the topic to look for in the manual, the explanation is clear.

So I guess now if I want to link more than two people, is the best way to do that by using the "marked people" features? I am going to have to test it but it looks like it should help me to narrow down to the relatives I am interested to show a relation with...

Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by David Baud View Post
          if I want to link more than two people, is the best way to do that by using the "marked people" features?
          If you mean you want to put more than two people on a chart showing their relationship, then yes, you'd mark all the ancestors of each of the people, go to their common ancestor, and make a chart of marked descendants only.
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
          X