Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using an External Webcam - Logitech, etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using an External Webcam - Logitech, etc.?

I'm intrigued by the idea using a webcam to capture images right into Reunion. This could be very useful at our upcoming family reunion. However, it appears that it only works with the built-in iSight camera. Is that the case or is there a way to switch to my external Logitech webcam? I'd love to be able to put the webcam or DSLR with an adapter on a tripod, with good lighting and capture images while I sit at the MacBook Pro. If there is a way to switch cameras I can't find it. If not, can this be added before August?

Re: Using an External Webcam - Logitech, etc.?

Look up "Taking a Picture With Your Mac" in the manual. If you open an existing photo and click on the question mark, it goes direct to that chapter.

I haven't personally tried it but it states "or a USB-connected camera" so it seems you should be able to do this.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
      Look up "Taking a Picture With Your Mac" in the manual. If you open an existing photo and click on the question mark, it goes direct to that chapter.

I haven't personally tried it but it states "or a USB-connected camera" so it seems you should be able to do this.
      Yes, I've been to the manual and it states:

Taking a Picture With Your Mac

If your Mac has a built-in camera or a USB-connected camera, you can take a picture from within Reunion's media window, and add it to any person or family. To do this...

Navigate to the person or family where you'd like to add a picture.
      Open the Media window for the desired person (by clicking any picture or silhouette in the family view).
      Click the Take Picture button in the bottom bar of the Media window. This button will be disabled if there is no camera connected to your Mac.

But it doesn't say anything about switching cameras from the built-in one to a USB camera. Perhaps it would use the USB one if the lid were closed (effectively disabling the built-in camera), but then I would have to have an external keyboard, mouse and display.

Comment

jbastin

Originally posted by terrywhite View Post

But it doesn't say anything about switching cameras from the built-in one to a USB camera. Perhaps it would use the USB one if the lid were closed (effectively disabling the built-in camera), but then I would have to have an external keyboard, mouse and display.
        I don't have an external USB camera (I tried this with my iPhone camera turned on and connected but it didn't work for it), but I did find a method online that is probably worth a try:

The title of the article is "How To Use a USB Camera Instead of iSight"

If you own a Mac computer and would like to use an external USB webcam instead of the default iSight camera that came installed on the computer, there is a simple process to combat the problem.

It details how to use Photo Booth to change the camera being used from the internal camera to an external USB one, saying that once the camera choice is changed in one app, any app using the camera will adhere to that choice.

(My preview of this message is compacting the URL, I don't know how it will look in the output, but even clicking on the compacted URL that I'm seeing takes me to the desired page.)

Hope this helps.
        John Bastin
        jbastin1@me.com
        Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
        Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Re: jbastin

Originally posted by jbastin View Post
          I don't have an external USB camera (I tried this with my iPhone camera turned on and connected but it didn't work for it), but I did find a method online that is probably worth a try:

The title of the article is "How To Use a USB Camera Instead of iSight"

If you own a Mac computer and would like to use an external USB webcam instead of the default iSight camera that came installed on the computer, there is a simple process to combat the problem.

It details how to use Photo Booth to change the camera being used from the internal camera to an external USB one, saying that once the camera choice is changed in one app, any app using the camera will adhere to that choice.

(My preview of this message is compacting the URL, I don't know how it will look in the output, but even clicking on the compacted URL that I'm seeing takes me to the desired page.)

Hope this helps.
          I was excited to try your tip. I fired up Photobooth this morning and it was already using the Logitech. So I quit Photobooth and relaunched Reunion 11 and it's still using the iSight camera. Since I'm at home and I am plugged into an external display with keyboard and mouse I decided to try a lid closed test. I closed the lid of my MacBook Pro and all windows went over to my external display. I launched Reunion 11 and now yes it's using the Logitech as that is the only camera available. I left it running and opened the lid of the MBP. It was still running and still using the Logitech. At least we know that works. Next I canceled the Camera dialog and brought it back up again and as I feared it went right back to the iSight.

So in summary as it stands now Reunion 11 will default to the built-in iSight and only use an external camera if the iSight is not available. This is fine as long as I have an external display connected, but I won't have one in August when I travel. It would be nice if Leister could simply put a popup menu in that area to allow us to choose which camera it's going to use as so many other applications already do this (even Photobooth by Apple).

Unless anyone knows of a Terminal command to turn off the iSight and then turn it back on when needed?

Comment

I found a Youtube video about a download that disables the camera. I'm not sure if it works for Sierra, but you can check it out.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could disable your Mac camera with a simple software tweak? Inside, we'll show you how to do just that.
            Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
              I found a Youtube video about a download that disables the camera. I'm not sure if it works for Sierra, but you can check it out.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/02...le-isight-mac/
              Kim you rock!

Not only did that work perfectly. It seems to have made it sticky for Reunion 11. After I tested disabling and it worked. I of course wanted to make sure the camera was re-enabled. However, Reunion was still using the Facetime/iSight camera. I was a little scared that my camera wasn't working so i brought up Photobooth and switched cameras and it was working fine.

I now have a solution until Leister Pro sees fit to put a camera switching preference in Reunion 11.x

Comment

Working...
              X