Exporting Names and Suffixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting Names and Suffixes

In Reunion 11, I exported my work to a GEDCOM file and imported it as a standard GEDCOM to FTM for Mac. The problem I describe below also occurred when I imported the file to FTM as a custom (Reunion) GEDCOM.

In every case where I had entered an individual's suffix/title (Sr, Jr, king of France, etc) in Reunion, the import put the suffix/title into the surname field for the individual in FTM. Actual surname and given name were omitted entirely. Thus, my index of names showed a long list of "Sr" without surnames or given names. The list of "Jr" was even longer. And of course, there were all the unnamed counts, dukes, etc. The same problem occurred for name prefixes (Dr, Rev, etc.)

On an FTM support forum I found the following explanation:

"The GEDCOM standard, including examples, makes it clear that all of the name, including the prefixes/suffixes must be in the text on the "NAME" line, simply separated into only two parts. Optionally, all of the name may also be separated into more than two parts using the set of name parts."

The following excerpt from GEDCOM 5.5 standard definitions was quoted:

"The <NAME_PERSONAL> value is formed in the manner the name is normally spoken, with the given name and family name (surname) separated by slashes (/). n NAME <NAME_PERSONAL> {1:1} +1 NPFX <NAME_PIECE_PREFIX> {0:1} +1 GIVN <NAME_PIECE_GIVEN> {0:1} +1 NICK <NAME_PIECE_NICKNAME> {0:1} +1 SPFX <NAME_PIECE_SURNAME_PREFIX> {0:1} +1 SURN <NAME_PIECE_SURNAME> {0:1} +1 NSFX <NAME_PIECE_SUFFIX> {0:1}

"The NPFX, GIVN, NICK, SPFX, SURN, and NSFX tags are provided optionally for systems that cannot operate effectively with less structured information. For current future compatibility, all systems must construct their names based on the <NAME_PERSONAL> structure. Those using the optional name pieces should assume that few systems will process them, and most will not provide the name pieces."

So, the bottom line is this: Users on the FTM forum blame the creator of the GEDCOM (Reunion) for failing to comply with GEDCOM standards.

The GEDCOM imported perfectly back into Reunion; but, will I experience the same problem importing the GEDCOM into Ancestry, Family Search, TMG, Legacy, and other genealogy software/platforms?

Any comments from Reunion or helpful workarounds from the forum?

Re: Exporting Names and Suffixes

You don't say what version of Family Tree Maker you are using...

I have just exported a GEDCOM from Reunion 11 and imported it in to Family Tree Maker 3.1 (the MacKiev version) and it seems to have correctly identified what Reunion calls Prefix Title and Suffix Title and handled it as expected.

Eg titles such as Lady, or Reverend or Warrant Officer have appeared in the Family Tree Maker "Title" field, and Suffix Titles have appeared appended to the name field.

Perhaps even more surprisingly, making a GEDCOM export out of Family Tree Maker 3.1 seems to have worked too - e.g.

1 NAME William Lee /Plunket/ 5th Baron Plunket

shows that it has correctly found what was a "Title Suffix" in Reunion of "5th Baron Plunket" and put that after the second /

And importing that GEDCOM file in to Reunion 11 and the Prefix Title and Suffix Title are again correctly where they should be - e.g.

Lady Sybilla Isaacs - Prefix Title
    William Lee Plunket 5th Baron Plunket - Suffix Title.

So, upgrade your FTM version and you should be OK.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Re: Exporting Names and Suffixes

Thanks for the suggestion Roger. I was using FTM 3 Ancestry version. When I upgraded to FTM 3.1 MacKiev version, it did indeed solve the problem I described in the post.

I still see a problem with the import when an individual has a suffix/title without a surname (as in William II "The Conqueror" king of England). The name in the individual FTM record is left totally blank; i.e. no given name, surname, or suffix. The person is listed as <no name> in the index and on the charts.

Another problem is the FTM import of women without a surname but with a middle name or initial (e.g. "Anna Margaretha" or "Mary J," etc). In the individual record, the middle name or initial appears in the surname field. In the index and on charts, the individual is listed as "Margaretha, Anna" or "J, Mary".

I'm hoping that these problems are solved in the upcoming release of FTM 2017.

Comment

Working...
      X