Default Family View problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default Family View problem

Hello, I inadvertently did something to my default family view when trying to work with a photo. The whole middle panel that used to give me the vital data of each person has now been overtaken by the top half of the preferred photo. I am sure it's rather simple to fix, in fact if I remove the preferred photo, I can see the data. How do I get the photo to resume it's much smaller size? If I click the oversized photo, it just brings me to media area where the other photos for the individual are located.

Re: Default Family View problem

Originally posted by BrianHTabor View Post
    Hello, I inadvertently did something to my default family view when trying to work with a photo. The whole middle panel that used to give me the vital data of each person has now been overtaken by the top half of the preferred photo. I am sure it's rather simple to fix, in fact if I remove the preferred photo, I can see the data. How do I get the photo to resume it's much smaller size? If I click the oversized photo, it just brings me to media area where the other photos for the individual are located.
    Based on your note, it sounds like you are seeing something like what is shown in the attached "problem" image.

If so, you will need to make the children area of the family view smaller before being able to make the preferred picture smaller.

If that is the case, try this...

1. Put your cursor to the right or left of the "+ Children" button (i.e., not on the "+ Children" button) and drag down until you can see the entire preferred picture. (I.e., not just the top half.)

2. Then, move your cursor to the bottom center of the large preferred picture. You should see three small white lines in the bottom center of it. If so, click and drag up to make the picture smaller. (See the attached "three white lines" image if you are not sure of what the three little white lines will look like.)

I hope you find this information helpful in solving the problem.
    Attached Files
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
      Based on your note, it sounds like you are seeing something like what is shown in the attached "problem" image.

If so, you will need to make the children area of the family view smaller before being able to make the preferred picture smaller.

If that is the case, try this...

1. Put your cursor to the right or left of the "+ Children" button (i.e., not on the "+ Children" button) and drag down until you can see the entire preferred picture. (I.e., not just the top half.)

2. Then, move your cursor to the bottom center of the large preferred picture. You should see three small white lines in the bottom center of it. If so, click and drag up to make the picture smaller. (See the attached "three white lines" image if you are not sure of what the three little white lines will look like.)

I hope you find this information helpful in solving the problem.
      Hi Deb,
      The image is so immense in this panel that even getting rid of the children, I still cannot see the three white lines that one would normally use to resize. Is there another way? I am currently stuck, though I presume I could go into the preferences for the couple and delete the current preference for the default and then reenter new prefs? However, if there's another way to remedy this, I would love to know. (I now realize I had attempted to use a photo much too wide to be used; as you know, the software automatically chooses the first photo you enter as the preferred photo). How do I revert back so I can see the white lines?
      Many thanks,
      Brian

Comment

Hi Deb,
        The image is so immense in this panel that even getting rid of the children, I still cannot see the three white lines that one would normally use to resize. Is there another way? I am currently stuck, though I presume I could go into the preferences for the couple and delete the current preference for the default and then reenter new prefs? However, if there's another way to remedy this, I would love to know. (I now realize I had attempted to use a photo much too wide to be used; as you know, the software automatically chooses the first photo you enter as the preferred photo). How do I revert back so I can see the white lines?
        Many thanks,
        Brian
        Hi Brian,

Go to the problem Family card. In the Multimedia Sidebar, you should see all the photos associated with that card. Double-click the problem photo. If the problem is that your photo is too wide, you can use the Cropping tool (bottom of the window) to crop (trim) it to the width you need. This will not affect the original photo, but the version that is displayed in Reunion is shown as edited.

If you want to make a new version of the original photo, and you have an editing program (MacOS "Preview" will do the job), you can easily do this from the Media window. Look at the "Information" pane, which among other things will show you where the original file is on your computer storage. (Mine are all in Dropbox.) Single-click the file "address," and a Finder window will come up showing your original file highlighted. Right-click (or CTRL-click) on the original file icon, and select "Open With… -> Preview". The Preview app will allow you to crop the file to show just the parts you want. This WILL affect the original file, but you can work around that by making a duplicate copy of the file before you start editing.

One last thing: if you have more than one photo associated with the family card, you can choose which one is the "Preferred" photo. In the same Media window under Information, you'll see the "options" line, which includes the checkboxes for "Preferred", "Sensitive", and "Treat as document" for the selected photo.

Hope this helps!
        --
        Matt McCaffrey

Proprietor of the "family business" since 2015

Researching McCaffrey, Duffy, Garrow/Garand/Garant, Alden, Cadieux, Gagne

Comment

Originally posted by M McCaffrey View Post
          Hi Brian,

Go to the problem Family card. In the Multimedia Sidebar, you should see all the photos associated with that card. Double-click the problem photo. If the problem is that your photo is too wide, you can use the Cropping tool (bottom of the window) to crop (trim) it to the width you need. This will not affect the original photo, but the version that is displayed in Reunion is shown as edited.

If you want to make a new version of the original photo, and you have an editing program (MacOS "Preview" will do the job), you can easily do this from the Media window. Look at the "Information" pane, which among other things will show you where the original file is on your computer storage. (Mine are all in Dropbox.) Single-click the file "address," and a Finder window will come up showing your original file highlighted. Right-click (or CTRL-click) on the original file icon, and select "Open With… -> Preview". The Preview app will allow you to crop the file to show just the parts you want. This WILL affect the original file, but you can work around that by making a duplicate copy of the file before you start editing.

One last thing: if you have more than one photo associated with the family card, you can choose which one is the "Preferred" photo. In the same Media window under Information, you'll see the "options" line, which includes the checkboxes for "Preferred", "Sensitive", and "Treat as document" for the selected photo.

Hope this helps!
          Hi Matt,
          When this problem first occurred, I immediately removed the offending photo, thinking by doing so it would rectify itself. It did not. In fact, it now affects all family view cards. Thus, it gives me no option to resize, as I do not see the three white lines at the bottom of each photo one normally uses - I cannot see the bottom of any preferred photo. When the Show Preferred Photo option is checked, all I see is the top portion of the photo - and no data. (I have my application extended to the fullest veritical size). When not checked, I see the data and the photos via the Multimedia function on the side. That bad photo must have changed some kind of unviewable size preferences for all preferred photos in any family panel. Is there a way to revert it back or must I use the default preference setting and rebuild my preferences??
          Thanks,
          Brian

Comment

...Is there a way to revert it back or must I use the default preference setting and rebuild my preferences??
            It sounds like you will need to rebuild that particular family view.

To delete one family view, choose Reunion > Preferences and click on Family View. Then, click the "Delete View" button for the selected view.

To rebuild that family view, click the "Add View" button and enter a name for that family view. Then, click on the Children/Couple/Parents/Miscellaneous tabs at the top and select the appropriate options and add the appropriate fields for each section.

Information about how to customize your family view can be found in the manual by clicking on the "?" in the lower-left corner of that Family View Preferences window. (Or, search the manual for "customize view," without the quotes.)

Another possible option, if you haven't done too much customization to the family views in Reunion, would be to have Reunion 11 restore the entire default set of family views. This can be done by choosing Reunion > Preferences and clicking on Family View. A listing of family views is shown on the left. Click the "Delete View" button at the bottom until each family view has been deleted. After deleting the last family view in the list, Reunion will restore the entire default set of family views.

(Note: deleting a family view does not delete any information entered into a family file.)

I hope you find this information helpful
            Deb Stuller
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

From personal experience with similar issues, I have found it helpful to take screen shots of settings before deleting them. This allows recreating them later without expending too much thought.
              Tim Lundin
              Heartland Family Graphics
              http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
              X