X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Search the Web Function

Originally posted by AileenWynne View Post
    Hi folks,
    If you're adding findmypast.co.uk, is there any chance you could add findmypast.ie and possibly www.irishgenealogy.ie
    Aileen,

I had a spare hour and so have created web searches for both www.findmypast.ie and www.irishgenealogy.ie as you requested. There isn't any official way to share these as yet so please send me an e-mail and I will provide you with them. You can either contact me through my website www.bage.org.uk or download my contact details from my profile.

All,

As soon as there is an official way to share these I will share with everyone. In order to avoid any duplication of effort, so far I have created ones for:

DeceasedOnline.com
    FindMyPast.co.uk
    FindMyPast.ie
    GuildOfOneNameStudies (one-name.org)
    IrishGenealogy.ie
    TheNationalArchives.gov.uk

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone else who has created any web searches.
    Keith Bage
    BAGE One-Name Study,
    www.bage.org.uk
    GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

I have prepared a first draft for searching http://www.geneanet.org and it works fine with some basics data, except for Places.

In Geneanet, a search would not work when the place is entered as the full text. For example, "Miami" will work but not "Miami, Florida, United States".

Is there any way to parse only the first word in the place text ?

Thanks for the help

Alain Goubault

Comment

Originally posted by Legolas View Post

Is there any way to parse only the first word in the place text ?
        No, not to my knowledge. I have had similar issues with the place field and have needed to leave it out in the IrishGenealogy search I just created for Aileen.

The problem with the place fields is that people structure their places in so many different ways, so I imagine it would be impossible for say "county" to be extracted.

The other exclusion I found that would be useful is a Marriage date. Maybe this is something that could be added?
        Keith Bage
        BAGE One-Name Study,
        www.bage.org.uk
        GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Bage View Post
          The problem with the place fields is that people structure their places in so many different ways, so I imagine it would be impossible for say "county" to be extracted.
          I think most of us start a place with the city name. Taking the first part would give it almost surely.

I shall ask Geneanet to search for a solution (taking the full place text to give some results)

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Legolas View Post
            I think most of us start a place with the city name.
            I'm not sure thats true. Many of mine will start with an actual address if I know it. I think the only hope is if the website treat the place as a set of keywords, rather than a structured string. It will make for more "results" but I can live with that.
            Keith Bage
            BAGE One-Name Study,
            www.bage.org.uk
            GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

For those interested in the Web Searches I have added several more to my repertoire. My list to date is now as follows:

BMDRegisters.co.uk
              DeceasedOnline.com
              FindMyPast.co.uk (included in 10.0.2 update)
              FindMyPast.ie
              Guild Of One Name Studies (one-name.org) (included in 10.0.2 update)
              IrishGenealogy.ie
              National Library of Australia - Catalogue
              National Library of Australia - Trove
              TheNationlArchives.gov.uk

If anyone has any suggestions for more searches let me know and i'll be happy to help create them if at all possible.

I will send to the Reunion Help address to circulate as they see fit.
              Last edited by Keith Bage; 31 May 2012, 07:57 AM.
              Keith Bage
              BAGE One-Name Study,
              www.bage.org.uk
              GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

If anyone has any suggestions for more searches let me know and i'll be happy to help create them if at all possible.
                For Dutch users of reunion it would be nice to search on www.genlias.nl.

Comment

Originally posted by William Seagram View Post
                  For Dutch users of reunion it would be nice to search on www.genlias.nl.
                  William,

It is not be possible to create web searches for all websites depending on how the search is constructed. On first look, genlias.nl is one of those websites unfortunatley. I will take a look though and let you know.

Regards

Keith
                  Keith Bage
                  BAGE One-Name Study,
                  www.bage.org.uk
                  GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

For those interested in the Web Searches I have added several more to my repertoire. My list to date is now as follows:

[...]

I will send to the Reunion Help address to circulate as they see fit.
                    Thank you for taking the time to do this, Keith! Would it be possible to add: jewishgen.org ?

Martha
                    Click here to email me
                    OS X 10.7.5, Reunion 9.0c
                    http://www.avotaynu.com/books/tamar.htm

Comment

Originally posted by martha View Post
                      Thank you for taking the time to do this, Keith! Would it be possible to add: jewishgen.org ?

Martha
                      Martha,

I'll add it to my list of sites to look at.

All,

As I have indicated, many sites will not be possible to be searched because of the way the search has been programmed. As some sort of guide, try performing a manual search on a website. If the resulting URL (web address) is the same no matter what search characteristics you use it is likely that I CAN'T create a web search for it. However, if the resulting url clearly contains some of your search criteria within it (even though much of the url may look like random strings of text), then it is likely that a search CAN be created.

Note also that there will likely be some restrictions on the way a search can be performed i.e the place name in Reunion can not be broken down to pass out values for county, town etc. Nor can it currently pass a marriage date (this is something I have asked to be added in the future).

Finally - I have now also created a few more searches to add to my list. These are:

FreeBMD.org.uk - Births
                      FreeBMD.org.uk - Deaths
                      TeesValley-indexes.co.uk - Births
                      TeesValley-indexes.co.uk - Deaths
                      FindMyPast.com
                      BritishNewspaperArchive.co.uk
                      london-gazette.co.uk
                      British-History.ac.uk
                      Society Of Genealogists (sog.org.uk)
                      NewspaperArchive.com
                      Google.com - News
                      LastChanceToRead.com
                      NationalArchives.gov (NARA - AAD)
                      Edinburgh-gazette.co.uk

In the case of the FreeBMD searches they will populate the search values but you will need to manually trigger the search by clicking the search button (still a considerable time saving).

My list of searches in Reunion is growing very long now but I'm not sure what will happen when the list is too long to display. I presume it will just scroll but I have yet to find out.
                      Last edited by Keith Bage; 03 June 2012, 04:34 PM. Reason: Added more searches
                      Keith Bage
                      BAGE One-Name Study,
                      www.bage.org.uk
                      GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

William & Martha,

Sorry but I have to admit defeat in creating a search for both www.genlias.nl and www.jewishgen.org. Their search methods make creating a search impossible with Reunions current functionality.
                        Keith Bage
                        BAGE One-Name Study,
                        www.bage.org.uk
                        GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Keith,
                          Just a quick reply to say Thank You for creating the searches I was looking for. They're great.
                          Many thanks,
                          Aileen

Comment

Sorry but I have to admit defeat in creating a search for both www.genlias.nl and www.jewishgen.org. Their search methods make creating a search impossible with Reunions current functionality.
                            Thanks for trying.

William

Comment

William & Martha,

"William & Martha" sounds like a university or something! As we say in research, a negative is also a positive response! Thank you so much for trying, Keith, and I apologize for taking up so much of your time in making the effort!

Martha
                              Click here to email me
                              OS X 10.7.5, Reunion 9.0c
                              http://www.avotaynu.com/books/tamar.htm

Comment

Has anyone else created any more searches yet? I've added 24 of my own now, the latest being GraveStonePhotos.com.

Would really like to hear from (and share with) others creating these searches.
                                Keith Bage
                                BAGE One-Name Study,
                                www.bage.org.uk
                                GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Working...
                                X