This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search the Web Function

I am pleased to see a "search the web" function make it to Reunion 10. However, I have two issues:

1. Some of the major UK search websites are missing i.e. Findmypast.co.uk (almost as big as Ancestry.co.uk) and GenesReunited.co.uk.

2. There doesn't appear to be a way to add further web search engines.

Can you confirm

a, Will you be adding further web search functions, or

b, Will you be providing a method (and instructions) on how individuals can create there own.

If there was a tool to create these individuals could create their own web searches and potential share them.
    Keith Bage
    BAGE One-Name Study,
    www.bage.org.uk
    GOONS (member 4451)

Re: Search the Web Function

Originally posted by Keith Bage View Post
    1. Some of the major UK search websites are missing i.e. Findmypast.co.uk (almost as big as Ancestry.co.uk) and GenesReunited.co.uk.
    I'll make a note to look into adding these, if possible.

2. There doesn't appear to be a way to add further web search engines.
    There's no built-in way to add more search engines. They are stored in Property List files, but there's currently no documentation on how to create these files or their format.
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      I'll make a note to look into adding these, if possible.

There's no built-in way to add more search engines. They are stored in Property List files, but there's currently no documentation on how to create these files or their format.
      I had had a look at the plist before raising this, if a new plist was added would it appear in the options in Reunion?
      Keith Bage
      BAGE One-Name Study,
      www.bage.org.uk
      GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

I had had a look at the plist before raising this, if a new plist was added would it appear in the options in Reunion?
        Yes - it just reads all the plists in that directory.
        Mark Harrison

Comment

Hi folks,
          If you're adding findmypast.co.uk, is there any chance you could add findmypast.ie and possibly www.irishgenealogy.ie

www.irishgenealogy.ie is a government run website with the church records for a number of parishes in Ireland. They're expanding their collection, however are very wary of stepping on the toes of the IFHS so can't cover the whole country (or even 26 counties) at present, but they are valuable if you have family in Dublin, Carlow, Cork or Kerry. That said, it may be a little too small a site, considering how many there are.

Thanks,
          Aileen

Comment

Yes - it just reads all the plists in that directory.
            Mark,

I have had a go and created a new plist file for FindMyPast.co.uk (which I will send to help@leisterpro.com) and it seems to work OK. I would appreciate it if you could have a look at the file and let me know what you think.

The only real issue I have with my search is how to implement it to best effect with relation to using [FNO] or [GN]. I suppose the results depend on the way the search engine is optimised. For instance I performed a search for John Bamborough Bage using [GN] and variants on. The search engine did return and exact result but did not include census entries for names like John B Bage. To make this as useful as possible I decided to go with a [FNO] and variants for forename on. This means you get more non-matching results but ensures I'll get census entries for John B Bage as well as exact entires like John Bamborough Bage.

Hope this makes sense and would appreciate feedback on the plist.

What do you think is the best way to share such plists? Will you add it to the Leister website much like you do with perspective event sets?
            Keith Bage
            BAGE One-Name Study,
            www.bage.org.uk
            GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

I think perhaps better than doing things with plist files, it might be better to allow users to add their own "favourite" sites through an interface on the Preferences Pane?

Roger
              Roger Moffat
              http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
              http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
                I think perhaps better than doing things with plist files, it might be better to allow users to add their own "favourite" sites through an interface on the Preferences Pane?

Roger
                I am with Roger. The ability to add through the Preference Pane is definitely more user friendly.

Bob
                Bob Goode
                Reunion 12.0; ReunionTouch 1.0.8; OS 10.14.2

Comment

Guess I will repeat what I said during beta testing (under the proviso that it should be considered for a future update). I think our users, once they see the power of this search tool, will use it very frequently. I know that I do. It saves lots of time for frequently visited sites like Ancestry.com. Therefore, it should be more convenient to use.

As is, I have to control or right click on the person, wait a fraction for the popup menu, slide my pointer down the list to Search the Web, fraction wait a second time for the search popup and slide again. And, darn it, my most used choice is near the bottom --- Search Favorites.

That's too much work for a frequently used tool. I encourage you all to discuss this and share your ideas, if any, on this topic.
                  Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                  Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
                  iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Goode View Post
                    I am with Roger. The ability to add through the Preference Pane is definitely more user friendly.

Bob
                    For what its worth I agree that having an ability to create web searches in the preference pane would be far more user friendly, but i'll use what I can get. I do know that Legacy has a similar function to create such search strings.
                    Keith Bage
                    BAGE One-Name Study,
                    www.bage.org.uk
                    GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                      As is, I have to control or right click on the person, wait a fraction for the popup menu, slide my pointer down the list to Search the Web, fraction wait a second time for the search popup and slide again. And, darn it, my most used choice is near the bottom --- Search Favorites.
                      Bob,

I kind of see what you mean, but I have to say that I have no "wait" time on using the menu options myself (but my machine has plenty of memory etc. which may help).

Maybe these searches could have been another contender for the sidebar. Whilst I know the sidebar is person specific, I guess they could have used a similar approach to the Ages sidebar.
                      Keith Bage
                      BAGE One-Name Study,
                      www.bage.org.uk
                      GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

....I kind of see what you mean, but I have to say that I have no "wait" time on using the menu options myself (but my machine has plenty of memory etc. which may help).......
                        As does mine... It's not actual speed that I'm getting at. It is that there is too much motion involved to implement a command.
                        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
                        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Mark,

I realise you guys must be snowed under at the moment but wondered if you received the two plist files I sent to the "help" email address. Just want make sure they reached you.
                          Keith Bage
                          BAGE One-Name Study,
                          www.bage.org.uk
                          GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Keith,

Yup - I got them. Just haven't gotten around to looking at them yet.
                            Mark Harrison

Comment

Keith,

Yup - I got them. Just haven't gotten around to looking at them yet.
                              OK -Thanks! like I said I know your busy
                              Keith Bage
                              BAGE One-Name Study,
                              www.bage.org.uk
                              GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Working...
                              X