This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"find relationship" changes

The "find relationship" procedure has changed significantly from Reunion 9 to 10, and unfortunately I'm finding the new procedure to be more cumbersome and (crucially) less informative than it was before. Specifically:

1) Reunion 9's "find relationship" window defaulted to the current couple. Reunion 10's is "sticky" -- it defaults to the last two individuals for whom a relationship was calculated. I'm neutral about this change -- sometimes this will be helpful, and sometimes not.

2) In Reunion 10, the option of selecting people for "find relationship" via the Bookmarks, Quickbar or Recent List has been removed. In Reunion 9, I had carefully stocked my Quickbar with people whose relationship I accessed frequently, which made finding relationships quick and easy. Now I have to hunt for people in the sidebar index, and for people with common names (e.g., selecting from over 100 "Maria M
    Roger Kreuz
    Memphis, TN
    www.rogerkreuz.com/gen/

Re: "find relationship" changes

On number two, I might have a suggestion to make things a little less inconvenient.

If you unmark everyone, then mark the people you would typically have in your quick bar, you can find the marked people and save them as a marked set (Quickbar People, for example). It will be easy to recall that marked set in the sidebar whenever you want.

If you don't want to disrupt your marking scheme when doing this, another alternative is to create a flag for them, and create a preset in the find view.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

I agree with all of Roger Kreuz

Comment

Originally posted by jimwalts View Post
        The loss of showing dual relationships is a big feature for me.
        I hadn't noticed this up until now, but also am thinking that Reunion ought to be capable of identifying and listing ALL relationships between any 2 people.

For example if I ask for Relationship between me and my wife, Reunion identifies we are spouse of each other.

I have an example of 2nd cousins who married and Reunion identifies that they were 2nd cousins, but doesn't identify that they're also spouse to each other.

TNG handles both..

And the "new" way of doing this is way more effort than the old way :-(

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I agree with Roger - I liked being able to find relationships for the couple being viewed with the option of changing one or more of them. Also I have people in my tree with multiple relationships and want to be able to see these also.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Kreuz View Post
            The "find relationship" procedure has changed significantly from Reunion 9 to 10, and unfortunately I'm finding the new procedure to be more cumbersome and (crucially) less informative than it was before. Specifically:

1) Reunion 9's "find relationship" window defaulted to the current couple. Reunion 10's is "sticky" -- it defaults to the last two individuals for whom a relationship was calculated. I'm neutral about this change -- sometimes this will be helpful, and sometimes not.
            I agree that this makes it more difficult. I used to be at a family card of someone, and from person two, enter my ID number from the drop down and "instantly" know if I'm related to them or not.

Would like to see it revert to a similar workflow in future updates.
            Reunion 11.0.7, Mac OS 10.10.3

Comment

only one relationship between two people (the closest one) seems to be returned.
              I agree. Many Reunion users have ancestors with multiple relationships. I hope a fix can be found for this. Very important.

Claire
              Last edited by Frank; 22 May 2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clairebettag View Post
                I agree. Many Reunion users have ancestors with multiple relationships. I hope a fix can be found for this. Very important.

Claire
                I totally agree with multiple relationships as being an important feature. In Reunion 9, I was able to find one couple with four relationships. This is an important fact for a family historian. I, also, hope this is restored.

I do like the chart that Reunion 10 creates for the relationship.

Bob
                Last edited by Bob Goode; 23 May 2012, 12:49 PM. Reason: added a comment and deleted a comment
                Bob Goode
                Reunion 12.0; ReunionTouch 1.0.8; OS 10.14.2

Comment

I'm so glad Roger articulated exactly how I feel about changes to Find Relationship. It is not as intuitive as before and I, too, miss having complete results returned, not just the closest. I loved that I could easily show that my parents were related 22 times! Linking to a tree chart is quite nice, but complete results are more important to me.

Janine
                  10.7.3, 10.0.1

Comment

I very infrequently comment on posts, but I could not agree more with the desire to have all relationships between two individuals shown. This seems like a step backward, especially considering the many improvements in Reunion 10.
                    -Tad

Comment

In Reunion 10.0.2, the "Find relationship between two people" feature will identify multiple blood relationships, like Reunion 9 did.
                      Also, like Reunion 9, the husband & wife in the current family view will be the default "Person 1" and "Person 2" when opening the Find panel.
                      Frank Leister
                      Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                        In Reunion 10.0.2, the "Find relationship between two people" feature will identify multiple blood relationships, like Reunion 9 did.
                        Also, like Reunion 9, the husband & wife in the current family view will be the default "Person 1" and "Person 2" when opening the Find panel.
                        It would be amazing if you guys would expand the feature to determine a common ancestor between N number of individuals (yes, I also posted this in the Suggestions forum).
                        Benoit Bousquet
                        Reunion 14

Comment

Thanks!
                          Reunion 11.0.7, Mac OS 10.10.3

Comment

A big thank you !!! In Reunion 9, I took screen shots of all the multiple relationships and added them to multimedia. Now with this feature restored and the new chart feature, I have an even better option for multiple relationships. I know of no other developer as responsive as LeisterPro.

Bob
                            Bob Goode
                            Reunion 12.0; ReunionTouch 1.0.8; OS 10.14.2

Comment

Working...
                            X