This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Places Merges

Roger and Kay: I rarely read the digest or even look at it, so I'm not sure why I even keep on having it come to me. I always come here to the forum.

Yesterday morning, when I went to this thread, all I can figure is that, while also watching a race on TV, that I clicked the "2" for page 2 and didn't notice and continued my distraction on through typing the note that I did. Sorry about that! My bad!
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

No problem, Bob. We all get distracted now and then!
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Christopher View Post
        the procedure for merging two place names. After the merge completed, one of the events which had been using the old version of the name now had, instead of the new place name, the text: "[[pt:1527]]"
        Sorry if I created any confusion in my post regarding the fact that a fix for this is forthcoming. I did assume the context of the online thread. But I also should have added that until the fix for the faulty Places-Merge function is published, you can avoid the error if you make sure that when you perform the merge, you are *not* currently editing a person who has an event that would be affected by the merge. At least that work-around prevented the error in my case.
        Bruce Winton Christopher
        Environment: Reunion 14 build 240614; macOS 10.15.7
        bruce@bwchristopher.com

Comment

Several members of the Santa Clara Reunion group have experienced the Place changing to [[pt:12628]] or something similar. When I did a search for [[, it turned up 1502 instances. I usually spend a chunk of time merging places and don't look at all the people affected, so I'm wondering if it's more than a "Places Merge while editing a person" that causes this to be changed for that person! It's obviously changing for many many people. At any rate, if there is a fix on the way to keep it from happening, we are waiting . . .
          And, how do you find out what the original location was, without doing the research again?

Comment

Originally posted by marthawsv View Post
            And, how do you find out what the original location was, without doing the research again?
            In most cases (all the ones I've seen, at least) simply rebuilding caches using:

File -> Rebuild Cache Files...

Will fix these entries, giving them the appropriate place name instead of the [[pt:XXXX]] value, so you shouldn't need to do the research again.
            Mark Harrison
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              In most cases (all the ones I've seen, at least) simply rebuilding caches using:

File -> Rebuild Cache Files...

Will fix these entries, giving them the appropriate place name instead of the [[pt:XXXX]] value, so you shouldn't need to do the research again.
              Thanks, Mark. It completely worked. Whew!!
              Last edited by Deb; 20 September 2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X