This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion 10 vs. 9

I have been using Reunion 9 with Reunion for iPad for some time and am very happy with them. I have just discovered there is now a version 10, which I am surprised that I had not been advised of. I am now trying to establish whether I should stick with what I have, or upgrade to the new version. I have looked at some of the features on the video and read some of the comments, which do not seem, to be totally supportive, of the new version. Can someone, who has upgraded from version 9 to 10, tell me what they feel are the showstopper improvements? I generally want to have the latest version of any software, but in this instance I am unsure, can somebody sway me one way or the other?

Re: Reunion 10 v 9

Originally posted by billbir View Post
    I have been using Reunion 9 with Reunion for iPad for some time and am very happy with them. I have just discovered there is now a version 10, which I am surprised that I had not been advised of. I am now trying to establish whether I should stick with what I have, or upgrade to the new version. I have looked at some of the features on the video and read some of the comments, which do not seem, to be totally supportive, of the new version. Can someone, who has upgraded from version 9 to 10, tell me what they feel are the showstopper improvements? I generally want to have the latest version of any software, but in this instance I am unsure, can somebody sway me one way or the other?
    In my opinion R10 is a major upgrade that is well worth the price of upgrade. The best thing you can possibly do is just download the demo for yourself. That'll allow you to have a play with all the new features and read through the manual to see if it is for you or not, but quite honestly I don't know why any Reunion user would hold off on upgrading.

It might be worth you checking through a couple of threads

The three major benefits to me are probably:

1. Web Searching

2. Mapping of places

3. Tree View

But there are plenty of other nice things.
    Keith Bage
    BAGE One-Name Study,
    www.bage.org.uk
    GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

In my experience, the most prominent posts on any forum are the ones that deal with problems, because if something works, it's not generally worth comment.

While there are still wish list items, the vast majority of issues have been addressed in the first two maintenance releases.

So, I throw in with Keith... it's a significant upgrade worth acquiring. My favorite new features include:

- Tree View

- Mapping/Geocoding

- Gradient fill and round box corners in charts
      Tim Lundin
      Heartland Family Graphics
      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Bage View Post
        In my opinion R10 is a major upgrade that is well worth the price of upgrade. The best thing you can possibly do is just download the demo for yourself. That'll allow you to have a play with all the new features and read through the manual to see if it is for you or not, but quite honestly I don't know why any Reunion user would hold off on upgrading.

1. Web Searching

2. Mapping of places

3. Tree View

Hi Keith,
        Thanks for your speedy and very helpful reply. There certainly seems to be a lot of people who do like the upgrade.
        Can you please elaborate on the Web Search aspect. I live in the UK and use Findmypast and FamilySearch etc., and do not seem to use any on the list. *Reunion is of course, very US orientated, so will that aspect be useful, for non-US genealogists, or am I missing something.

Regards

Bill Birchall

Comment

Hi Keith,
          Thanks for your speedy and very helpful reply. There certainly seems to be a lot of people who do like the upgrade.
          Can you please elaborate on the Web Search aspect. I live in the UK and use Findmypast and FamilySearch etc., and do not seem to use any on the list. *Reunion is of course, very US orientated, so will that aspect be useful, for non-US genealogists, or am I missing something.

Regards

Bill Birchall
          Hi Bill,

Well let me tell you up front that I too am in the UK so am also using FindMyPast etc.

Reunion 10 originally came with a fixed set of web searches that the Reunion guys had developed. This contained a fairly wide selection which included Familysearch, Ancestry.co.uk etc. However, I have personally been able to create many additional searches which can be added to reunion to extend the number of searches which can be used. The good news for you is that this includes many UK centric websites such as FindMyPast, FreeBMD, The National Archives and many more (20+ in all). So, there is now a good range of websites available to you to use as a UK user (or for any user for that matter)

That said, I don't want to give the impression that you can easily create additional searches yourself. The creation of these websites is only for those more technically minded and to my knowledge there are very few users who have actually created a search of their own. There is no tool in Reunion to create these searches due to the complex nature of websites and their search engines.

So, in a nutshell, what you get is a very good range of searches along with a very good mechanism of organising and activating these searches. What you are unlikely to be able to do is create "new" searches of your own.

Hope this helps.
          Keith Bage
          BAGE One-Name Study,
          www.bage.org.uk
          GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Hi Bill,

Well let me tell you up front that I too am in the UK so am also using FindMyPast etc.

Reunion 10 originally came with a fixed set of web searches that the Reunion guys had developed. This contained a fairly wide selection which included Familysearch, Ancestry.co.uk etc. However, I have personally been able to create many additional searches which can be added to reunion to extend the number of searches which can be used. The good news for you is that this includes many UK centric websites such as FindMyPast, FreeBMD, The National Archives and many more (20+ in all). So, there is now a good range of websites available to you to use as a UK user (or for any user for that matter)

That said, I don't want to give the impression that you can easily create additional searches yourself. The creation of these websites is only for those more technically minded and to my knowledge there are very few users who have actually created a search of their own. There is no tool in Reunion to create these searches due to the complex nature of websites and their search engines.

So, in a nutshell, what you get is a very good range of searches along with a very good mechanism of organising and activating these searches. What you are unlikely to be able to do is create "new" searches of your own.

Hope this helps.
            Hi Keith,

Can I be clear, are you saying that you have a list of UK searches, which I can access somehow. If so, how. And are you saying that any not on the list are only available to technically competent individuals?

Regards

Bill

Comment

Hi Keith,

Can I be clear, are you saying that you have a list of UK searches, which I can access somehow.
              Yes that's right

If so, how.
              The first two I produced were circulated with Reunion 10.0.2. In the short term I can provide the others via e-mail until the Reunion guys provide a mechanism to share them. Frank has already indicated changes in this area are in development and has advised to wait for more info soon.

And are you saying that any not on the list are only available to technically competent individuals?
              No! I'm saying that creating your own searches for additional sites takes some technical skills which you may not have. But those who can produce them will be able to share them with every Reunion user (if they are willing, as I am).

Check this thread for more info on web searching and the searches I have created which are (or will be) available to everyone.

Keith Bage
              BAGE One-Name Study,
              www.bage.org.uk
              GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I have gone through the thread and you have obviously hit on a very desirable improvement, and have put in a considerable amount of effort, to push this forward. I thank you for your input.

Best wishes

Bill Birchall

Comment

Bill,

Not sure if you have made the jump to R10 yet, but I thought you might like to know that all the Web Searches I created (including the many UK based sites I discussed previously) are now included in R10 v10.0.3 which was released on 3 July.

Regards

Keith
                  Keith Bage
                  BAGE One-Name Study,
                  www.bage.org.uk
                  GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Bill,

Not sure if you have made the jump to R10 yet, but I thought you might like to know that all the Web Searches I created (including the many UK based sites I discussed previously) are now included in R10 v10.0.3 which was released on 3 July.

Regards

Keith
                    Hi Keith,

Yes I have moved to version 10 and in fact 10.03, and am very pleased, so far. A couple of possible inclusions for 10.04 might be Rootschat and Genes Reunited, both of which I find very useful. Thanks for looking after the interests of us Brits! Great work!

Bill

Comment

Hi Keith,

Yes I have moved to version 10 and in fact 10.03, and am very pleased, so far. A couple of possible inclusions for 10.04 might be Rootschat and Genes Reunited, both of which I find very useful. Thanks for looking after the interests of us Brits! Great work!

Bill
                      Bill,

I did try to create a GenesReunited one a while back and failed for a reason I don't recall right now. I'll have another look when I get a moment. As for Rootschat, it does't look like this one will be possible to create.

FYI - You won't have to wait for 10.0.4 for more Web Searches. As of Reunion 10.0.3 you can check for new sites from within the preferences.

Regards

Keith
                      Keith Bage
                      BAGE One-Name Study,
                      www.bage.org.uk
                      GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

1. Web Searching

2. Mapping of places

3. Tree View

One that I like is the inclusion of the relationship level.

One thing I have not liked in Reunion 10 is the failure to list surnames in All Caps (despite the selection for that).

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Bell View Post
                          One thing I have not liked in Reunion 10 is the failure to list surnames in All Caps (despite the selection for that).
                          Hi Pat,

Is the "Last Name UPPERCASE" box the selection to which you are referring? If so, after checking this box in the Edit Person panel, any "new" last names being entered will appear in all caps. Checking that box will not change any existing last name to all caps (unless you edit it after checking that box).

In order to easily change "all" existing last names to all caps, try this...

1. Select Change in the Navbar.

2. Then, select Case.

3. Next, check the "Last Names" and the "UPPERCASE" box.

4. Finally, click Convert.

I hope you find this information helpful:-)
                          Deb Stuller
                          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
                          X