This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to? - one note for multiple people

I am about to create a new Reunion family file by importing a large GEDCOM file. I would like to have the Notes for all these people to include certain text (to document where these folks originally came from ... which is a research project using ancestry.com).

So, my question: is there a way to import, or pre-assign, notes for all (or a Marked set of) people in a family file to avoid typing (or copy/pasting) into the notes, one person at a time?

Paul

Re: How to? - one note for multiple people

Instead of doing it as a note, how about assigning each person a Source which you can easily do, and in that Source (in the free form text part of it) put the note you want. It won't directly be a part of each person's record, but it will be linked to them all.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Thanks, Roger, that could be a good way to shorten the work. However, it would still mean editing each of the person's records, one at a time, to add the Source reference. So, I'm still wondering if there is a way to insert information into all person records (or ones that are check marked) in one operation.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by PGHJ View Post
        Thanks, Roger, that could be a good way to shorten the work. However, it would still mean editing each of the person's records, one at a time, to add the Source reference.
        You can do this in one go by marking the people you want to add the source to, and then applying a General Source to the marked people "en masse".

You can do this from the Change --------> Set General Source menu item, or in Reunion 10, Change is in the left side bar.

Roger
        Roger Moffat

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
          You can do this in one go by marking the people you want to add the source to, and then applying a General Source to the marked people "en masse".

You can do this from the Change --------> Set General Source menu item, or in Reunion 10, Change is in the left side bar.

Roger
          Roger, this is perfect! Thanks!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by PGHJ View Post
            Roger, this is perfect! Thanks!

Paul
            Since you're importing a GEDCOM, I think it's even easier to have this done automatically. Set up your source in the file you are importing into, then on the import screen, you can set "Automatic Source" to that source number. Reunion will add that source automatically to the imported records.
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
              Since you're importing a GEDCOM, I think it's even easier to have this done automatically. Set up your source in the file you are importing into, then on the import screen, you can set "Automatic Source" to that source number. Reunion will add that source automatically to the imported records.
              Great ... this just keeps getting better!

Comment

Don
                Andrew Allsop

Comment

[QUOTE=Allsop;35777]Don
                  Dennis J. Cunniff
                  Click here to email me

Comment

That really shouldn't be an issue. The "Automatic Source" applied when you import a GEDCOM applies only to the records you import. Any records added by you manually afterward won't have an automatic source applied.

You're thinking of another "Automatic Source" accessed through the Edit Person panel. That one applies to people you enter by hand, until you turn it off.
                    Thanks Dennis, I stand corrected.
                    Andrew Allsop

Comment

That really shouldn't be an issue. The "Automatic Source" applied when you import a GEDCOM applies only to the records you import. Any records added by you manually afterward won't have an automatic source applied.

You're thinking of another "Automatic Source" accessed through the Edit Person panel. That one applies to people you enter by hand, until you turn it off.
                      Originally posted by Allsop View Post
                      Thanks Dennis, I stand corrected.
                      And I stand grateful for the excellent suggestions!
                      Thanks guys!

Paul
                      Last edited by Deb; 22 September 2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Paul - Please elaborate. If I have 1,020 sources in my other PC program and prepare a GEDCOM file, how will they get parcelled out to the appropriate person? Would I have to prepare a GEDCOM from the older system and only prepare a GEDCOM for those with the common source?

Bob
                        Last edited by Deb; 01 October 2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
                          Paul - Please elaborate. If I have 1,020 sources in my other PC program and prepare a GEDCOM file, how will they get parcelled out to the appropriate person? Would I have to prepare a GEDCOM from the older system and only prepare a GEDCOM for those with the common source?

Bob
                          Bob,

I think my situation was a bit different than what you're describing, and hopefully another user will have a good answer for you.

In my case, I was adding many additional people (not sources) to my family file, and none of the new people previously existed in my family file (with the exception of one). I started with a GECOM file with the new people; set up the "Automatic Source" to be applied to all the new people (as suggested by Dennis J. Cuniff above); then I imported the GEDCOM into my Reunion family file; and merged the one person common to both old and new groups.

I might note, however, that sources in the GEDCOM file (put there by ancestry.com) did also get imported into Reunion - I lost none of those sources (they got re-numbered as needed), plus the "Automatic" source was also added to all the imported people.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
                            This is all handled in the GEDCOM file - the GEDCOM format easily supports one source linked to multiple people/events.

So

Source 1 could be linked to Person 1 and Person 3
                            Source 2 could be liked to person 2
                            Source 3 could be linked to person 1, and Family 4

etc etc

This is all transferred through GEDCOM 5.5

Roger
                            Roger Moffat

Comment

Working...