This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family History Report

In preparing the subject report, is there a way to view the index and discern what page in the report that a person is located on? The method that seems to crop up on my reports is the relationship number, i.e., parent of or other designations in lieu of an actual page number on which the person appears. Is this normal for Reunion 10?

Re: Family History Report

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
    In preparing the subject report, is there a way to view the index and discern what page in the report that a person is located on?
    You don't say what word processor you use. The output you want is certainly achievable with some word processors (Microsoft Word is one of them; it may be the only one, according to the manual, though InDesign (a layout program rather than a word processor) seems to understand the index codes as well).

The index by designation that you are getting is used if you have not turned on the "Insert Index Codes" preference.

(To turn this on or off: Preferences... --> Reports --> Insert "index" codes (RTF only))

When Index Codes are inserted, you generate the report, go to the place in the report for the index, and insert the index from the word processor menu (this tells the word processor to generate the page numbers).

But using Index Codes with word processors that don't "understand" them can cause problems.

If you want to do this and need more help, let us know what word processor you are using.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      You don't say what word processor you use. The output you want is certainly achievable with some word processors (Microsoft Word is one of them; it may be the only one, according to the manual, though InDesign (a layout program rather than a word processor) seems to understand the index codes as well).

The index by designation that you are getting is used if you have not turned on the "Insert Index Codes" preference.

(To turn this on or off: Preferences... --> Reports --> Insert "index" codes (RTF only))

When Index Codes are inserted, you generate the report, go to the place in the report for the index, and insert the index from the word processor menu (this tells the word processor to generate the page numbers).

But using Index Codes with word processors that don't "understand" them can cause problems.

If you want to do this and need more help, let us know what word processor you are using.
      Interesting - The report, using Word on my MAC , did show the index when I selected '...Insert --> Index and ...', 'marked' each item I wanted in the Index and then did a 'Print Preview'. The reporting could become pretty tedious if I wanted to add page numbers to some 1000+ persons in a report - something I'll have to ponder. Thanks for your help.
      Last edited by sgtbob; 30 October 2012, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Interesting - The report, using Word on my MAC , did show the index when I selected '...Insert --> Index and ...', 'marked' each item I wanted in the Index and then did a 'Print Preview'. The reporting could become pretty tedious if I wanted to add page numbers to some 1000+ persons in a report - something I'll have to ponder. Thanks for your help.

There shouldn't be any "marking" involved: that's what Reunion has already done for you.

If Reunion has generated the Index Codes, and the Family History report is open in Microsoft Word, all you need to do is:

[1] move to the end of the report where the heading "Index" appears, and click underneath it, so the cursor is flashing there.
        [2] use the Word menus: Insert --> Index and Tables... The Index and Tables window opens
        [3] click "Index", and choose the kind you like. (If you don't know what you like yet, choose Classic), then click "OK".

You now have an index on your family history file that uses page numbers.

If you find there's already an index under the heading "Index" when the report first opens in Word (and it uses a numbering system rather than page numbers), then you haven't correctly set Reunion to generate index codes!
        Last edited by Dennis J. Cunniff; 31 October 2012, 04:51 PM.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
          There shouldn't be any "marking" involved: that's what Reunion has already done for you.

If Reunion has generated the Index Codes, and the Family History report is open in Microsoft Word, all you need to do is:

[1] move to the end of the report where the heading "Index" appears, and click underneath it, so the cursor is flashing there.
          [2] use the Word menus: Insert --> Index and Tables... The Index and Tables window opens
          [3] click "Index", and choose the kind you like. (If you don't know what you like yet, choose Classic), then click "OK".

You now have an index on your family history file that uses page numbers.

If you find there's already an index under the heading "Index" when the report first opens in Word (and it uses a numbering system rather than page numbers), then you haven't correctly set Reunion to generate index codes!

Thanks Dennis - That worked like a charm and does as I wanted. So many good ideas here and so little time!

Bob

Comment

Thanks Dennis - That worked like a charm and does as I wanted. So many good ideas here and so little time!

Bob
            This goes back somewhat to people's original suggestion to just go ahead and start using the program to learn it. The basics in Reunion are pretty straightforward, and many advanced capabilities are at one's fingertips once the need is identified.

There's a risk of going a long way down a blind alley, but that's pretty rare.

It's nice to see that you seem to be getting comfortable with Reunion.
            Tim Lundin
            Heartland Family Graphics
            http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
              This goes back somewhat to people's original suggestion to just go ahead and start using the program to learn it. The basics in Reunion are pretty straightforward, and many advanced capabilities are at one's fingertips once the need is identified.

There's a risk of going a long way down a blind alley, but that's pretty rare.

It's nice to see that you seem to be getting comfortable with Reunion.
              Reunion is my second foray into MAC based genealogy software and I'm becoming more impressed with it each day. I've been an amateur Genealogy researcher (emphasis on amateur) for about 50 years. I started with the paper forms so long ago and was so glad when computers came along. I used PC's for years and tried at least a half dozen genealogy programs. When I got my MAC, I was disappointed to learn that my old program did not have a MAC version and it cost me several years time and money trying to use parallels and others program to allow my genealogy to run on a MAC unit.

My GEDCOM transfer to Reunion has caused me to ask a lot of questions and I have had good success in getting help through this forum - without (I might add) the rebuffs one seems to get on other forums when we ask what is perceived to be a RTM question. So, to all those who have helped me along, I say a big thank you and I think I have arrived 'home' with changing to Reunion. I'm still learning about its many useful features and seem to encounter a nice 'surprise' each day.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X