This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Detail Issue

When dealing with certificates, as well as having a pdf of them attached to the family, I also transcribe the information into a field I created (I think - it was so long ago I can't remember) called Vital Records. By typing/writing it out, it helps the mind figure out exactly what is on the certificate and who you are actually looking for.

Eg. a cursory glance could make you believe the father's name was Thomas Jones Mason, whereas, if you sort how it is written and in what fields, it could well be Thomas Jones, occupation Mason and you won't waste a lot of time looking for a Thomas Mason instead of a Thomas Jones.

Regards
    Kaye

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      Not true. What Tom said applies to the citation, including the detail.

You may copy the entire citation line and paste the entire citation into another event, or another person's event, etc. And that will include the detail, if any.

In that scenario, I would specify the page number in the source record. Then there's no need for anything in the detail field of the citations in all 50 relatives records.
      Thanks Tom and Frank - I tried your method - it works just as stated and further accomplishes exactly what I wanted. I had not thought of such a simple feature. Many thanks - I need to experiment more and keep reading the Q&A on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye Saunders View Post
        When dealing with certificates, as well as having a pdf of them attached to the family, I also transcribe the information into a field I created (I think - it was so long ago I can't remember) called Vital Records. By typing/writing it out, it helps the mind figure out exactly what is on the certificate and who you are actually looking for.
        Kaye - I like that idea. I decided to create a type of Note called Abstract. You mentioned a field but was it a note?

Betty

Comment

In addition to those mentioned there's another use for the detail field that comes in handy when I have more than one source for an event. I use the detail field to indicate whether the date, place or memo came from that particular source. In some cases, for example, the date will come from one source and the place from another.

I also use the detail field to point out a minor difference in the information from another source e.g. one source might say the burial took place on a certain date while another might give that as the date of death. If it's a major difference I will discuss this in the Research section of Notes.

The detail field is also useful for names. If Sarah Louise Brown is called Sarah L Brown in one source I will note that in the detail field.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty E View Post
            Kaye - I like that idea. I decided to create a type of Note called Abstract. You mentioned a field but was it a note?

Betty
            Hi Betty

Sorry for the delay - no Reuniontalk for a couple of days - it comes to my mail that I get at work - must change my address for it :-)

Yes, I did mean note - I have a note called "Vital Record" where I transcribe birth and death certificates or baptism and burial records if they are pre-certificate times.

I also have separate notes for each of the censuses (censi?) called 1841, 1851 etc (I mainly use British Census) where I transcribe each census and it helps me sort out their parishes of birth and relationships etc. Do the same for Wills and death notices from newspapers.

Kaye

Comment

Kaye -

Thanks for confirming. I started to do it that way and, so far, it is working out beautifully.

Thank you so much!

Best regards,

Betty

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred Allan View Post
                In addition to those mentioned there's another use for the detail field that comes in handy when I have more than one source for an event. I use the detail field to indicate whether the date, place or memo came from that particular source. In some cases, for example, the date will come from one source and the place from another.

I also use the detail field to point out a minor difference in the information from another source e.g. one source might say the burial took place on a certain date while another might give that as the date of death. If it's a major difference I will discuss this in the Research section of Notes.

The detail field is also useful for names. If Sarah Louise Brown is called Sarah L Brown in one source I will note that in the detail field.
                I do the same thing. Frequently I will find, for example, a detail such as a full middle name, and I want to know exactly where I found it. So, in addition to using the detail field for page numbers when referring to a larger source, I will also use it to specify what piece of data I gleaned from a particular source.

Comment

Working...
                X