Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with media pages in web project.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help with media pages in web project.

Originally posted by The Wheeler Family View Post
    Have you emailed this link to someone else to see if they can see your Web project? Because it's the link to the toc.htm file that gives others access to your web project.

I'm learning as I go so I hope this is of some help and I'm not leading you astray!
    Thanks,
    I called my son and sent the link to him. When he gets back to his home he says he will see what happens and contact me.
    Delbert Curlin
    Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
    Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

I've had no luck with the suggested procedures so I've come up with a whole new procedure. As soon as my niece tests it (and, if it works), I will post the whole procedure here. It may be tomorrow (3/13) afternoon.
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

My niece said my link worked!

Here’s what happened with me. I tried following Frank’s directions…Nope, didn’t work. My niece said nothing worked, even when she did a copy & paste…so, to make a long story shorter, here’s what I ended up doing after reading a lot of Dropbox Help and several trials.

1) Checked my Dropbox desktop app and found it was several years old. Following directions on the website, I deleted the old one (it doesn’t affect the website Dropbox) and then downloaded the updated one. You'll need your user email & password to activate it. Put it in my left sidebar.

2) In Reunion > Preferences > Web > Reports > Files - I checked the box that says “Flatten web output (all files in one folder). I hadn’t ever checked it which put many folders inside the web project folder…found out that the old Dropbox Desktop app didn’t like folders very much-don’t know about the new Dropbox Desktop app as it did take the web project folder (and it shows up in the web Dropbox).

3) Create a web project folder in Reunion 10…save it to your DESKTOP.

4) Right click or control click on the web project folder. Click on “Move to Dropbox” in the menu that shows. This moves the whole folder into Dropbox (you may just be able to drag & drop-I didn't try that). The web project folder is now in Dropbox and has a little mark on the folder.

5) Click on Dropbox & move the web project folder into the Public Folder (if there is one) and the syncing begins. If there isn’t a Public Folder, it may be okay where it is or you can go on the Dropbox website to find out how to create one (they must have heard a lot of people yelling when they took it away in the old update). You can see the little ball in the Dropbox icon in the menu bar going around. Since I had 4600 files, it took about half an hour to sync.

6) When the little ball stops and turns green with a checkmark in it, the syncing is done. Then, on your Dropbox Desktop, open the web project folder. You will see each file. My TOC file was wc_toc.htm (shows up at the end of the wc files). Right click or control click on that file and you should see “Copy Public Link” down a little ways. Click on that. Open a text file and paste the link into the file. Name the file & save it where you want it. You can then copy & paste the link into your email(s).

Here’s my link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ect/wc_toc.htm (***17 Mar 2015 - link doesn't work now - came up with an Error page. I'll check it out and see if I can fix it.)

Please let me know if my link didn't work.

Hope this is helpful!
        Last edited by kmgenealogy; 17 March 2015, 04:20 AM. Reason: Dropbox link didn't work
        Kaye Mushalik
        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

[QUOTE=kmgenealogy;40705]My niece said my link worked!

Here
          Delbert Curlin

Comment

The key to sharing via Dropbox is to make sure the entire web project folder is inside the Public folder found in your Dropbox folder. If it's in that folder, when you CTRL+Click/Right-Click on the wc_toc.htm file you should see a "Copy Public Link" option. If, instead, you see a "Share Dropbox Link" option, then the files are not in the correct folder and the resulting link won't work properly.

HTH
            Mark Harrison
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              The key to sharing via Dropbox is to make sure the entire web project folder is inside the Public folder found in your Dropbox folder.
              Thanks Mark. I did this but it didn't work in my old Dropbox desktop folder. That's why I downloaded the newest version. I'll try it without the files being flattened to see what happens in this newer version. Would make it a little easier if it will take the project folder with all the other folders inside.
              Last edited by kmgenealogy; 14 March 2014, 06:00 PM.
              Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                Thanks Mark. I did this but it didn't work in my old Dropbox desktop folder. That's why I downloaded the newest version. I'll try it without the files being flattened to see what happens in this newer version. Would make it a little easier if it will take the project folder with all the other folders inside.
                So, I tried it with a non-flattened project and it worked. Also uploaded to Dropbox website much faster! Guess my problems were because of my old Dropbox Desktop app. Oh well, in a positive vein, I did learn a lot about Dropbox!

Moral of the story: Make sure your app is up-to-date!
                Kaye Mushalik

Comment

kmgenealogy's link worked fine for me but in my version of Dropbox, there is no longer a public folder. It was replaced by "shared folders". So I created the web folder, uploaded to dropbox by dragging it into the dropbox folder on my Mac and created the link by control-clicking the wc-toc file which created this link:

After trying it myself and emailing it to my daughter to try, the link brings up a dropbox screen that requires download. Double-clicking the downloaded file brings up the homescreen (table of contents) without graphics or design. Clinking on surnames or anything on that screen leads to a "file not found" screen. If anyone sees something different, please let me know.

I think the instruction we need is how to upload and link into the shared folder as opposed to the public folder (which is no longer an option for some of us).
                  Yvonne Bowers
                  iMac Late 2013/MacBookAir
                  Yosemite
                  Reunion 11

Comment

Log into your web Dropbox account. Down at the bottom left is a Help button. Click it and search for Public Folder. Click on the "What is the Public Folder for?" It should give you a background about the Public Folder and then instructions on how to enable a Public folder. Once you've done that, it should show up on your desktop Dropbox...hopefully. Since my account was created before the October 4, 2012 date, I already had a Public Folder. So, didn't have to go through this procedure.

Let us know if it works!

HTH
                    Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Thank you, Kaye! It was surprisingly too easy. I followed your directions and created a folder. When I named it Public, it instantly became a shared, public folder. One may need to restart their computer (I did) to make it behave like a public folder.

Then I recreated my web-folder and dragged it to the the public folder. After it uploaded, I control-clicked the wc_toc file to copy the link. As Mark Harrison said elsewhere, it's important it says "Copy Public Link". I sent an email to myself to test it and it opened fine.

Here's the link. I'd be grateful if anyone else tries it and let's me know if there's a problem.

Yvonne
                      iMac running Mavericks and Reunion 10
                      Yvonne Bowers
                      Yosemite
                      Reunion 11

Comment

Yvonne,

The web project looks fine! So glad making a Public Folder worked!

Some of my family wondered about hosting a web site on Dropbox. I have told them it's a "web project", not a web site. So, for others, I just call it a web project.

Guess the TWO most important things we've learned is...
                        1) Make sure you have an updated Dropbox Desktop app, and
                        2) Make sure you have a "Public Folder" in your Dropbox. If you don't have one, you can make one.

Hope our journey is helpful for others!

Oh, forgot to add that, if you are checking your link, you'll probably see everything okay, even when it's not, because you are the "owner" of that Dropbox account. That's what happened first with me. It's important to have an outsider check the link (ReunionTalk users LOVE to check out links!!!).

Kaye
                        Last edited by kmgenealogy; 18 March 2014, 06:54 PM.
                        Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Originally posted by YvonneinSonoma View Post
                          Thank you, Kaye! It was surprisingly too easy. I followed your directions and created a folder. When I named it Public, it instantly became a shared, public folder. One may need to restart their computer (I did) to make it behave like a public folder.

Then I recreated my web-folder and dragged it to the the public folder. After it uploaded, I control-clicked the wc_toc file to copy the link. As Mark Harrison said elsewhere, it's important it says "Copy Public Link". I sent an email to myself to test it and it opened fine.

Here's the link. I'd be grateful if anyone else tries it and let's me know if there's a problem.

Yvonne
                          iMac running Mavericks and Reunion 10
                          I don't exactly know how it happened but when I went to how to create a public folder; a Public Folder appeared in my drop box. Didn't say shared but took a chance. and created my project file and drug it into the public folder. then after it uploaded to dropbox.com I went to the folder (in dropbox.com) and ctl clicked on the wc_toc.html code, Saved Cmd/V to my desk top then emailed the saved link to my wife's computer and she was able to get to my project file. The picture that shows up first is too large but I'll figure it iout later.

Here is my Link. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...014/wc_toc.htm
                          Delbert Curlin

Comment

Hey, Delbert! So glad it worked for you!

I think the large photo on the main page has something to do with Reunion. If you figure it out, let us know. I haven't had that problem, but, who knows, it could happen to anyone. Knowing why and how to fix it would be great!
                            Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                              Hey, Delbert! So glad it worked for you!

I think the large photo on the main page has something to do with Reunion. If you figure it out, let us know. I haven't had that problem, but, who knows, it could happen to anyone. Knowing why and how to fix it would be great!
                              I would have given up if you and others hadn't kept up the fight
                              Thanks so much.!
                              Delbert
                              Delbert Curlin

Comment

Hi Delbert,

Great job! You probably need to resize your homepage picture (fun pic, though). I think we all might have DropBox licked!

Yvonne
                                Yvonne Bowers
                                Yosemite
                                Reunion 11

Comment

Working...
                                X