Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with media pages in web project.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help with media pages in web project.

I know this is an old thread, but just found it via old ReunionTalk digests in my too-full email inbox. Thank you to all on the thread! I had no idea I could so easily make my information available to relatives without going through the hassle of maintaining an actual website.

A QUESTION:
    Can Google find these pages in my Public folder on Dropbox? Does the fact that it's a Public Folder on the "cloud" (Dropbox, I think) make it searchable by googlebots? It would be nice if distant cousins could find my info through a Google search. (I have some relatives on Family Tree at FamilySearch.org, but it's difficult to put everyone there since Reunion doesn't sync with them.)

AND to anyone else reading this thread after March 2015: Dropbox now says that they only allow you to create a Public Folder if you have a Pro or a Business Account (which I do not). So, I just did what a previous post here suggested: created a New folder in my iMac's Dropbox and named it Public. Restarted my computer (not sure that's needed but she suggested it). Put a test flattened Web Project file in it, got the link, and voila, it works.

Thanks again to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
      ...A QUESTION:
      Can Google find these pages in my Public folder on Dropbox? Does the fact that it's a Public Folder on the "cloud" (Dropbox, I think) make it searchable by googlebots? It would be nice if distant cousins could find my info through a Google search. (I have some relatives on Family Tree at FamilySearch.org, but it's difficult to put everyone there since Reunion doesn't sync with them.)...
      Thanks again to all.
      Hi Susan,

Glad you found the thread. I don't think Google will find the Web Project on Dropbox. I believe you need to give the link to people you want to see it. Actually, I like that bit of security. In my email to family, I asked them to not give the link to anyone but family. It may eventually get out but should stay secure for a while. If it is abused, it's much easier to delete the Web Project, than a whole web site, and start over.

The other side of the security issue is that it won't attract possible "cousins". Maybe you can do a small blog (free on Blogger by Google) to attract the "cousins" and then, when they contact you and you've "verified" them, you can give them the Web Project link.

Oh, by the way, when you say "it works", did you have someone else test the link on a different computer or tablet? If you click on the link, it will take you to the web project, whether or not it is the correct link for others. I think that is because your computer browser will have cached the site.

Kaye
      Last edited by kmgenealogy; 02 April 2015, 04:28 AM.
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Hi Kaye,
        Many thanks for your thoughts. I've been avoiding the idea of blogging, but I suppose if I just do it to list names as "cousin bait," then it's worth it, and then give them the link as you suggest. I'm not into collecting cousins just for the numbers, but for whatever research and photos they have that I don't.

And thanks for the tip about sending the link to someone else, I did not do that but will give it a try now.

Sigh....Just when I thought I was ready to really focus in-depth on a couple of people, now there's this web project thing to get excited about. The fun never ends....;-0

Susan

Comment

I am having no luck at all with this. I have created a folder, named it Public, and created a flattened Web Project. Did the computer restart, dragged the Web Project into the Public folder, located the TOC file...and still I only get a 'share' link and not a 'public' link.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work recently? Any other suggestions?
          Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Hi Kim,

Creating a folder in Dropbox and naming it "Public" doesn't make it a Public folder, a Public folder is a very specific type of folder that was only given to free accounts created before October 4, 2012. You can read more about it here.

Basically, if you have a free Dropbox account that was created after October 4, 2012 you will not have a Public folder and, as a result, you won't be able to share your Web Project via Dropbox in the manner outlined.

HTH
            Mark Harrison
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Hi Kim,

Creating a folder in Dropbox and naming it "Public" doesn't make it a Public folder, a Public folder is a very specific type of folder that was only given to free accounts created before October 4, 2012. You can read more about it here.

Basically, if you have a free Dropbox account that was created after October 4, 2012 you will not have a Public folder and, as a result, you won't be able to share your Web Project via Dropbox in the manner outlined.

HTH
              Thanks, Mark. I'll quit trying to figure it out.
              Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Hi Kim,

HTH
                Hi Mark,

My post #24 in 2014 shows the procedure to ADD a Public Folder. It worked for YvonneinSonoma (see next post). I just checked and the procedure is still on Dropbox. They would rather you use Shared Folders but you supposedly can still make a Public Folder. I suggest everyone read every post from post 18 forward to double check what others found out. Here is what I posted on #24:

"Log into your web Dropbox account. Down at the bottom left is a Help button. Click it and search for Public Folder. Click on the "What is the Public Folder for?" It should give you a background about the Public Folder and then instructions on how to enable a Public folder. Once you've done that, it should show up on your desktop Dropbox...hopefully."

If it doesn't work for basic Dropbox accounts anymore, I recommend people read more about the shared folders to see what may be done.
                Kaye Mushalik
                -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                  If it doesn't work for basic Dropbox accounts anymore...
                  Yes, that is explained in the article I linked to in my post and what I meant when I said:

Basically, if you have a free Dropbox account that was created after October 4, 2012 you will not have a Public folder...
                  Mark Harrison
                  Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
                  X