This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

entering the date of 29th Feb (leap year) Reunion 10

I have a problem with entering the baptism date of february 29th. Fortunately I have only
    one such event but I am unable to get R10. to accept it.
    My only way around it has been to enter 28+1 Febraury.

Anyone know how to get around this entry, please?

Alan
    Last edited by alan; 22 March 2013, 10:20 PM.
    iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Re: entering the date of 29th Feb (leap year) Reunion 10

Alan,

I tried a dummy event with 2/29/1980 and it worked just fine. However, when I tried it for a non-leap year, Reunion gave an error message for the date.

Paul

Comment

Paul,

I can do as you suggest as the date falls within the normal dates etc.
      but try putting in 29 Feb 1850 or 29-2-1850 and it won't work. All you get is "invalid date".

Obviously because the software knows there aren't 29 days in Feb other than leap years.

Alan
      iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
        I can do as you suggest as the date falls within the normal dates etc.
        but try putting in 29 Feb 1850 or 29-2-1850 and it won't work. All you get is "invalid date".
        I'm not sure why you want to enter the "fact" that a baptism took place on a day that didn't exist, but you can do so with a custom date. Just enter 29 Feb 1850, and use 28 Feb 1850 (or any other *valid* date) as the sort date.

There are reasons you may have to do this, such as 30 Feb 1712, a date that actually occurred (but only in Sweden...). But on such "impossible" dates that actually occurred, you'd probably use the equivalent Gregorian date (in this case, 11 March 1712) as the custom date.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
          I'm not sure why you want to enter the "fact" that a baptism took place on a day that didn't exist, but you can do so with a custom date. Just enter 29 Feb 1850, and use 28 Feb 1850 (or any other *valid* date) as the sort date.

There are reasons you may have to do this, such as 30 Feb 1712, a date that actually occurred (but only in Sweden...). But on such "impossible" dates that actually occurred, you'd probably use the equivalent Gregorian date (in this case, 11 March 1712) as the custom date.
          Dennis,
          In making transcriptions it is a fundamental principle that you transcribe what is there not what it "should" have been. As you say, custom dates can overcome the problem. When I switched to Reunion quite a few years ago it took me a long while to realize the power of this feature. I'd still like a between date. In passing, I can only think of one 29th February in a non leap year that I needed. I would not contemplate conversion of dates except in notes.
          Have you used French Revolutionary dates?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Ozanne View Post
            In passing, I can only think of one 29th February in a non leap year that I needed. I would not contemplate conversion of dates except in notes.
            Have you used French Revolutionary dates?
            I have, but for such dates (that normal people won't recognize), I tend to enter the equivalent in the field proper rather than only in the sort date field. (So that Fromental Hal
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
              I do have an ancestor who was baptised on the 29th Feb as the date of births were only rarely mentioned, but, it was recorded in the registers as 29 Feb 1735/6 .

It was me entering the date this way that thru Reunion hence the "Invalid Date" popup. This was before the start of the Gregorian calendar and is often recorded in the English parish registers as so.
              I have now changed it to read 29-2-1736 and all is well now, as leap years are always in even numbers. But I have entered it in the notes to read 1735/6

It was my mistake.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                I have now changed it to read 29-2-1736 and all is well now, as leap years are always in even numbers. But I have entered it in the notes to read 1735/6
                I have to agree with Ken on this, I enter those "double" year dates (pre 1753 for UK) so that what was recorded is displayed. This always bringing up the "Save Custom Date" box, then I add the appropriate date as the sort date. Thus in this case I would enter 29 Feb 1735/6, and use the custom date 29-2-1736.
                Peter Cook
                Rossmoyne, Western Australia
                OSX 10.13.6 & iOS 12.4.6; Reunion 12.0 [200602];ReunionTouch 1.0.15

Comment

Working...
                X