This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"notes" not all showing

Hello, can someone tell me how to get all the misc. notes for one person to show up on a report and also in the notes on their main page (I'm not sure what this is called)?

I have 4 different notes for my mom.
    1. misc. notes
    2. misc. notes
    3. military notes
    4. medical notes

Re: "notes" not all showing

Originally posted by CathyH View Post
    can someone tell me how to get all the misc. notes for one person to show up on a report and also in the notes on their main page (I'm not sure what this is called)?
    I think by "main page" you probably mean "family view". If you search the manual for "Customizing the Family View", you'll find more information.

Misc. Notes shows up in the default view. Other note fields will show up in the family view only if you've added it to the view.

Four notes would take up a lot of screen real estate and seems not terribly practical. I'm not sure why you have two misc. notes, and I would combine them or name one of them something different. You may do best by defining more than one view, with a different note in each one, or all the notes and no other information in one, and switch between them with keyboard shortcuts.

Similarly, if a note field is not showing up in a given report, you need to add it to that report's layout. See "Defining Your Own Report Layout" in the manual.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Dennis J. Cunniff

I was experimenting with the layouts options in the different reports.

The advice on how to best write the notes I like too.

thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
        Four notes would take up a lot of screen real estate and seems not terribly practical. I'm not sure why you have two misc. notes, and I would combine them or name one of them something different.
        One reason to keep notes separate is whenever you attach citations to them. True, Reunion allows for any number of citations within a note, BUT (and a big BUT) any note with multiple citations will NOT carry through a GEDCOM cycle -- the linkages beyond the first one will be lost! The problem of lost linkages is moot it you keep only ONE citation per note. Thus, necessitating multiple notes with the same name., i.e., Misc. Notes.
        Arnold
        -----
        RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
          One reason to keep notes separate is whenever you attach citations to them. True, Reunion allows for any number of citations within a note, BUT (and a big BUT) any note with multiple citations will NOT carry through a GEDCOM cycle -- the linkages beyond the first one will be lost! The problem of lost linkages is moot it you keep only ONE citation per note. Thus, necessitating multiple notes with the same name., i.e., Misc. Notes.
          That is an important consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post

Four notes would take up a lot of screen real estate and seems not terribly practical.
            I have been thinking about this. Maybe what I should do, is have a short general misc. note that shows up in Family View. The rest of the information is there if I want to view it separate.

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
              This is not quite represented correctly..

If you put say multiple paragraphs in to a Note field, and at the end of each paragraph put a source showing where that information came from, all of those sources are exported in a GEDCOM export, but the pointer to which paragraph you had assigned them to is list - they are simply attached to that Note and so on re-import are all assigned to the whole of the Note.

You can work around this a little bit if you do as I do sometimes for example - look at this page

in the Obituary Note. You'll see at the end of the paragraphs

[Source 319] and then later [Source 2500]

These are notes in the notes that the preceding came from the noted Source (which can be found at the bottom of the page).

This helps make it clear what information came from where.

Roger
              Roger Moffat
              http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
              http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Working...
              X