Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source Field formatting. Commas, Quotes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source Field formatting. Commas, Quotes.

I have the source field format for Title (Gedcom tag TITL) with the option selected to Put quotes around the field.

In the source preview, the Comma used to seperate fields is shown as INSIDE the quotation marks. Shouldn't it be outside it?

Currently shown:
    164. Springvale Botanical Cemetery,

Re: Source Field formatting. Commas, Quotes.

My understanding is that commas and periods always go inside quote marks in American usage, and outside in British usage. No idea how the rest of the world deals with them.
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Luning View Post
      My understanding is that commas and periods always go inside quote marks in American usage, and outside in British usage.
      Paul
      We follow British usage here in Australia - hence my question. Outside quote marks is what I normally see in all references.

Comment

I would go with whatever the Chicago Manual of Style suggests.
        Donald W. Moore
        Virginia Beach, Virginia

Comment

This actually doesn't depend on a specific style in the U.S. (Chicago, MLA, or whatever). Standard American usage is that commas and periods always go inside quotation marks; all other marks of punctuation go outside of them, unless there's a situation where you would quote the mark (this only happens with a question mark or exclamation point). I teach this, and this rule doesn't appear in the parts of student style guides that are specifically about Chicago (though I see that the big Chicago Manual 15th ed discusses this at sections 6.8-6.10).

In other English speaking countries, according to Chicago, the usage is that "only those punctuation points that appeared in the original material should be included within the quotation marks; all others follow the closing quotation marks" (6.10).

Another difference, btw, is that this usage of single vs. double quotation marks is reversed in other English-speaking countries. So, a quote inside of a quote 'would appear "like this" in England'.

And all of this is true in the text as well as with a list of Works Cited. This is a generic pattern for books and research writing. Newspapers, for instance, can vary from this.
          Derrick
          pitard.net

Comment

I haven't been able to find a British/American box to check in Preferences, so maybe that is a Wish List candidate.
            Paul

Comment

Working...
            X