X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving From FTM Mac to Reunion

Hello,

I just returned home from the 2013 NGS Conference and as a result of a great presentation from Laura Prescott have decided to move my data from FTM MAC 1.0 to Reunion 10. I do have FTM MAC 2.0 installed but due to numerous problems/bugs have never used it. My Reunion package is in shipment (I wanted the CD).

If anyone has any experience dealing with GEDCOM export from FTM MAC to Reunion I'd appreciate any suggestions, advice, warnings, etc. My file has 3,500 individuals and 1600 JPG files. I'm anticipating major problems and a lot of work to manually input dropped data. If there is anything that can be "fixed" in my FTM file before exporting it I'd prefer doing that. I could also go ahead and move my data to FTM MAC 2.0 before exporting if that might make a difference.

Thank you for your assistance. I imagine I'll be back in touch with more questions in the future.

Re: Moving From FTM Mac to Reunion

There have been quite a few threads here from people who have moved from FTM to Reunion. You can do a search on "Family Tree Maker" and lots come up. I converted from Windows FTM to Reunion (8?) in 2008 and posted my experiences here:

If you follow the link in my post there, you can see the details.

It's probably best for you to export a GED from FTM and import it and see what you end up with first. Then you may need to delete the Reunion file and reimport a few times, tweaking things in between. There's quite a lot you can do short of manual entry if you're persistent. Sometimes you can use a text editor on the GED file to globally find and replace things to make things work better too.

Good luck!

Don

Comment

There are different formatting options for creating GEDCOMS. You may have to experiment (make several attempts, using different options). This is especially true if you use non-standard letters (
      Christina
      Searching for Moog, Nippert, Wilson, Wolf, Mule, and a whole bunch of other names

Comment

Originally posted by W Houston View Post
        Hello,

I <...> have decided to move my data from FTM MAC 1.0 to Reunion 10.

<...>

Thank you for your assistance. I imagine I'll be back in touch with more questions in the future.
        Since I have never used anything but Reunion, I just wanted to welcome you to the family and to let you know that there is incredible help available from the generous and knowledgeable people who are on this list!
        Click here to email me
        OS X 10.7.5, Reunion 9.0c
        http://www.avotaynu.com/books/tamar.htm

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions and good wishes. I have been experimenting with Reunion for a couple of days now and am very impressed.
          Last edited by Frank; 18 May 2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by W Houston View Post
            Hello,

I just returned home from the 2013 NGS Conference and as a result of a great presentation from Laura Prescott have decided to move my data from FTM MAC 1.0 to Reunion 10. I do have FTM MAC 2.0 installed but due to numerous problems/bugs have never used it. My Reunion package is in shipment (I wanted the CD).

If anyone has any experience dealing with GEDCOM export from FTM MAC to Reunion I'd appreciate any suggestions, advice, warnings, etc. My file has 3,500 individuals and 1600 JPG files. I'm anticipating major problems and a lot of work to manually input dropped data. If there is anything that can be "fixed" in my FTM file before exporting it I'd prefer doing that. I could also go ahead and move my data to FTM MAC 2.0 before exporting if that might make a difference.

Laura, moving from FTM for Mac (any version) has some issues. First and most difficult is that FTMM does NOT export media so you will have to link your media manually. I've had good luck exporting my data from FTMM by exporting it as FTM16. All your places will come out as "Cemetery/Town, City, State" but you can replace the "/" with ", " by doing a Find/Replace on Places.

The other problem I've had is that my migration to get to Reunion was long, tedious and in some case stupid. My data has been moved numerous times. This, I've found, leads to errors in sources and notes. Typical thing is wordsslammedtogether. But I also have some sources where the link between person and event is wrong now.

FTM and FTMM make research easy to find and record but it does us no favors in the non-standard way it outputs to other programs. You'll be happy with the move to Reunion.

Comment

Working...
            X