This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with non-breaking space in surname

I've used non-breaking spaces (option + space) many times in the past to set up surnames how I'd like them to sort.

But suddenly I'm having a problem. I'd like to sort the surname "Da San Donato" as "San Donato" instead of "Donato". But when I put a non-breaking space between "San" and "Donato", the surname sort of gets lost in the People list. I can't find it at all by typing in "San Donato" or "Donato" or "Da San Donato". It's only when I change it back to something with absolutely no non-breaking spaces that I can find it in the surname index again, under "Donato".

Am I doing something wrong? It's been a long time since I've used non-breaking spaces, but still....

I'm using Reunion 10.0.6 on an Intel MacBook running OSX 10.5.8 if that helps. I ran into this problem tonight in the previous iteration of Reunion too (10.0.4?), which is why I just upgraded to 10.0.6.

Thanks for any help you can recommend!

Re: Problem with non-breaking space in surname

What I've found is that if you put a non-breaking space in a surname, if you want to search for that name (whether via Find or filtering the index view) you have to also type a non-breaking space in your search term. It gets treated like any other non-breaking character.

Hard to remember to do. I wish that, in addition to the Index Preference to choose between "Sort on the entire last name" versus "Don't sort on preface words", there was also a preference for "Non-breaking spaces in names match spaces in search expressions" - similar to allowing search expressions to be case sensitive or not.
    My Home Page: http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/

Comment

Re: Problem with non-breaking space in surname

Thanks for the info!

I didn't realize option + space was required to locate a specific surname that I'd modified with non-breaking spaces when doing a People search. That's kind of mind blowing.

I agree. I wish there was a way to set this as a search option so I wouldn't have to think twice about whether or not I'd used non-breaking spaces when I added that individual or family to Reunion.

Comment

Working...
      X