This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report showing siblings

Do I feel stupid - yes! I created a report a month ago and cannot seem to recreate it. I edited it in Pages and did not note to myself how it was created - the stupid part. It is important to recreate because it is an integral part of a chapter in a book that needs to be sent to an editor. Woe is me. The report has the person, the siblings of the person and the children of the person --- I remember deleting parts of the original report, but I only used one report. Does anyone know how to create a report showing siblings? - that seems to be the key. At this point my only solution is to create two family group sheets and do a lot of copy and pasting. Help, help, help. TIA. Darillyn
    Last edited by darillyn; 24 August 2013, 11:21 AM.

Re: Report showing siblings

I suspect you started with an earlier generation, i.e., the parents of the subject and siblings. Then edited out the parents from the resulting report.
    As to which report you used I cannot tell from your description. You probably used either the Register report, the Family History report, or the Descendent report. Each can produce similar results but are organized somewhat differently. And you may have to modify your report layout via "Define Layout" to show the desired content.
    Byron Spoon

Comment

Originally posted by ByronSpoon View Post
      I suspect you started with an earlier generation, i.e., the parents of the subject and siblings. Then edited out the parents from the resulting report.
      As to which report you used I cannot tell from your description. You probably used either the Register report, the Family History report, or the Descendent report. Each can produce similar results but are organized somewhat differently. And you may have to modify your report layout via "Define Layout" to show the desired content.
      Yes, Byron, I agree BUT my "created" report also includes the children of the person, as well as the siblings. Without cutting and pasting which I am sure I did not do, I cannot recreate anything even close. I could have entered the title "siblings" to the list, but I can't seem to create any report that contains both children and siblings - even from an earlier generation. A real mystery that has me tearing my hair because of the deadline.

Comment

Then you are not including enough generations in the original report before editing out the parents. You will need to specify at least three generations (not two) in order to show the children of the desired subject and siblings, because your initial report needs to include (1) the parents, (2) the subject and siblings, and (3) the children.
        Byron Spoon

Comment

Originally posted by ByronSpoon View Post
          Then you are not including enough generations in the original report before editing out the parents. You will need to specify at least three generations (not two) in order to show the children of the desired subject and siblings, because your initial report needs to include (1) the parents, (2) the subject and siblings, and (3) the children.
          Okay - makes sense. I'll try the three generations, and "report" back, no pun intended.

Comment

Yes, Byron, that scenario does work, but I don't recall the enormous of deleting, cutting and pasting involved in the first "report". FYI (and others) the report is a Family History Report of 3 generations. Thanks Byron for the help. Think I'll put a suggestion in for a report that only gives a 1) person; 2) their children and 3) their siblings. Do you think it would be useful?

Comment

Originally posted by darillyn View Post
              Yes, Byron, that scenario does work, but I don't recall the enormous of deleting, cutting and pasting involved in the first "report". FYI (and others) the report is a Family History Report of 3 generations....
              OK add one more step to the above. In your family file, mark the subject person, the siblings, and the children you want included in the final report. Leave unmarked any sibling's children you do not want included.

Then when specifying the Family History report, select "Marked descendents only". Now in the resulting report you should only need to edit out the parents. There should not be any children showing under the siblings if you had left them unmarked.
              Byron Spoon

Comment

Great idea - Thanks so much, Byron. You have helped to relieve the stress of the editing deadline. Marking never occurred to me. Wish I could return the favor but your knowledge is too many levels above mine. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X