This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving ancestors to new file

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I didn't find it in a search.

I started my d-i-l's ancestry in the file of my family, because I didn't think I would find much, but guess what? I found many, many of her ancestors. Now I want to move all of her ancestors into a new file. Is this possible?

I appreciate any help from the list!

Ann Stroupe

Re: Moving ancestors to new file

You can mark the people you want to move, and then export them to a GEDCOM file or another Reunion family file, but the topic has come up recently in the Reunion 9 forum with a fair amount of unanimity in the answers:

Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Ann: Think of it this way... Who are you recording all this information for? My answer is our descendants. So, instead of thinking of it as daughter-in-law's family, think of it as your grandchildren's ancestors. To me, that makes it very clear to keep just one family file.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        Ann: Think of it this way... Who are you recording all this information for? My answer is our descendants. So, instead of thinking of it as daughter-in-law's family, think of it as your grandchildren's ancestors. To me, that makes it very clear to keep just one family file.
        Best answer yet.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          Absolutely right. It's not as though large files slow the software down, as might have been the case years ago.

And suppose you found later that the two sets of ancestors over-lapped - you'd have to import it all into the same file again!

Jamie.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnbarroch View Post
            Absolutely right. It's not as though large files slow the software down, as might have been the case years ago.

And suppose you found later that the two sets of ancestors over-lapped - you'd have to import it all into the same file again!

Jamie.
            Thanks to all who replied. You have adjusted my way of thinking and it sounds very logical now to keep all the ancestors together!

Ann Stroupe

Comment

Working...
            X