This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple occupations - help!

I'm wondering whether someone can help me reach a solution for this problem. Perhaps I'm missing something.

It's clear that our could list different occupations in different sources. I'm trying to record these occupations and initially put them in the "Occupation" field with the sources. Then I realised that there was no distinction between the sources, so I date-ordered them and even put the dates in brackets. The only problem with this is when you produce a chart, Reunion makes a very wide box to accommodate the list.

So, I thought I had found a solution. I created multiple "Occupation" fields, each sources separately. And this is the problem I have: when you create a chart Reunion picks the first "Occupation" and only that one. In the case of someone with several occupations, the first one he chose when he was a young man can be wildly off what he ended up doing for the majority of this life.

Is there a way of including all occupations, separately sourced, and then them showing on charts, nicely ordered?

Is this something Reunion 10 can do?

Re: Multiple occupations - help!

Originally posted by scatchardfamily View Post
    I'm wondering whether someone can help me reach a solution for this problem. Perhaps I'm missing something.

It's clear that our could list different occupations in different sources. I'm trying to record these occupations and initially put them in the "Occupation" field with the sources. Then I realised that there was no distinction between the sources, so I date-ordered them and even put the dates in brackets. The only problem with this is when you produce a chart, Reunion makes a very wide box to accommodate the list.

So, I thought I had found a solution. I created multiple "Occupation" fields, each sources separately. And this is the problem I have: when you create a chart Reunion picks the first "Occupation" and only that one. In the case of someone with several occupations, the first one he chose when he was a young man can be wildly off what he ended up doing for the majority of this life.

Is there a way of including all occupations, separately sourced, and then them showing on charts, nicely ordered?

Is this something Reunion 10 can do?
    I strongly believe genealogy is more than collecting facts about people. We should be creating family histories and a simple statement of fact after fact would not qualify in my book. Rather, we should be as best we can creating biographies of our ancestors.

So to the question of multiple occupations, I would record each (with its source) in the person's biography as a paragraph of that period in the person's life. It might if known include actions or results of that period and occupation and anything else related. The same thing goes for Census data, etc etc. See www.genealogyhowto.com.

Comment

That's a good idea for reports etc but is no use for charts, which show the facts concisely.

Comment

No - only the first Occupation will appear in created charts. This hasn't changed in 10, so you may want to submit it to the Wish List.

HTH
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Could you let me know whether reports produce all occupations and whether multiple occupations is GEDCOM-compatible, i.e. do other platforms "mind" if you go down this route (i.e. separately referenced occupations).

Comment

Could you let me know whether reports produce all occupations and whether multiple occupations is GEDCOM-compatible, i.e. do other platforms "mind" if you go down this route (i.e. separately referenced occupations).
            Yes, if you create multiple instances of the same event (I'd see Occupation as an event since it has a date and place associated with it) then the multiple instances can appear in Reports and in a GEDCOM file export. See for example

where there are multiple Census events which have been exported from Reunion by GEDCOM file and imported in to the software running the website - TNG - The Next Generation of Genealogy Site Building.

Roger
            Roger Moffat
            http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
            http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Working...
            X