This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GEDCOM tags

I don't know if this is the right forum to pose this question or not. As I get more familiar with Reunion 10, I note that the Event field and the Fact field have some pre-selected GEDCOM tags available to choose from, like *New [EDUC] and *New [RESN]. I looked through the manual but I couldn't find anywhere that explained why I should pick (or create) a particular tag for an Event field as opposed to a Fact field. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for using a particular tag in one or the other field, though there must be one. I'm guessing that the fields that are spelled out are converted by Reunion to the proper GEDCOM tag when doing an export, right? Fields like "Occupation", "Religion", and so on? I'm trying to get off to a good start here so if anyone has a reference to a website or a book to read about the proper use of data entry to conform to GEDCOM standards, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: GEDCOM tags

Originally posted by Jeff89 View Post
    I don't know if this is the right forum to pose this question or not. As I get more familiar with Reunion 10, I note that the Event field and the Fact field have some pre-selected GEDCOM tags available to choose from, like *New [EDUC] and *New [RESN]. I looked through the manual but I couldn't find anywhere that explained why I should pick (or create) a particular tag for an Event field as opposed to a Fact field.
    Have you at any time imported a GEDCOM file? *New [EDUC] and the like sometimes appear when a tag appears in a GEDCOM file in a place that Reunion does not expect it to be. They are best resolved at the time of import, but you can always sort them out later.

You may do well to go through your Reunion file looking for these tags and sorting them out - there is a way to locate them but I can't for the moment find it :-(

Comment

Re: GEDCOM tags

Originally posted by John Hill View Post
      Have you at any time imported a GEDCOM file? *New [EDUC] and the like sometimes appear when a tag appears in a GEDCOM file in a place that Reunion does not expect it to be. They are best resolved at the time of import, but you can always sort them out later.
      I've seen that and wondered about it and have corrected some of these errors by moving the data to the proper place and deleting these events or facts, as the case may be. My question, though, was slightly different: I was trying to prevent exactly what you described from happening if I exported a GEDCOM file. In the meantime, I've found the answer. I don't think it is in the current manual, but it is from Reunion:

There is information in the current manual about creating fields, but this document explains the difference between an Event field and a Fact field, which was one of the puzzles I was trying to solve. I hope this helps someone ...

Jeff

Comment

Working...
      X