This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death in Gedcom

What should I enter in Reunion when I want to have something in the date died field to go into the gedcom file?

Re: Death in Gedcom

Originally posted by FaZant View Post
    What should I enter in Reunion when I want to have something in the date died field to go into the gedcom file?
    I don't understand this question, and as there is no answer yet, I expect I am not alone. You enter a date in the date field. If you don't know the date, but know they are dead, enter, "before Oct 3, 2013". A gedcom is a means of transferring information from one program to another, not really a file.
    Mary Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by FaZant View Post
      If you just want to indicate that death has occurred, then Reunion will accept a

?

in any date field to indicate "yes I know it happened but don't know when".

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
        If you just want to indicate that death has occurred, then Reunion will accept a

?

Roger
        Will the ? allow Reunion's privacy option to kick in? For example, say I have info from an obituary that the individual had __ children and it lists their names. I want to add their names to my database but don't want their names to show on reports when I click on the privacy button. For now, until I find out their actual birthdate, I've been putting in a bogus/estimated birth year that is after my privacy setup date. This also means that I have to put a sentence in the birth memo field indicating the birth year is estimated. It would be much easier to just put the ?.
        Kaye Mushalik
        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
        -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
        -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
          Will the ? allow Reunion's privacy option to kick in? For example, say I have info from an obituary that the individual had __ children and it lists their names. I want to add their names to my database but don't want their names to show on reports when I click on the privacy button. For now, until I find out their actual birthdate, I've been putting in a bogus/estimated birth year that is after my privacy setup date. This also means that I have to put a sentence in the birth memo field indicating the birth year is estimated. It would be much easier to just put the ?.
          I don't think so - try it and see.

The ? is accepted as "yes it happened but I don't know when" so there's no reason to expect Reunion could determine that in one case they're born less than 100 years ago and in another case they were born more than 100 years ago.

Roger
          Roger Moffat
          http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
          http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
            Will the ? allow Reunion's privacy option to kick in?
            Why not just set a flag, "Private", and in "Privacy & Sensitivity Preferences" have Reunion treat people with that flag checked as private?
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post

?

Roger

Thanks Roger. That was what I was looking for. I transfer my gedcom file to a genealogywebsite which strictly treats a person with a missing deaddate as alive and so he/she doesn't show. Birthdate can be 400 years ago. I will try and see if it works. Sorry for not stating clearly, Frans
              I expected an Notification-EMail, forgot to turn it on though!

Comment

Don't know which site you are using but most recognize "abt" or "aft" or "bef"....
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Working...
                X