This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting over....

I am wanting to start all over with my family file. I want a clean start of my direct line that I can add photos, documents and sources to. I have such a hodgepodge of sources from 30+ years ago when I started this adventure and nothing is consistent. I also want to have a tree with my direct ancestors so that down the road when I am gone, the family can look at it and understand the family history better. Right now I have too many ancestors that are not direct connections to me or my husband and I need to consolidate.

So what's the best approach? Blood relatives? All relatives? Immediate family? Everyone linked to??? What do you all recommend? Thanks for any help! Judy
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Re: Starting over....

I would really seriously consider not doing that - start with what you've got and improve it - you can easily identify for example all of your direct ancestors and their families, and give them a flag for example

Direct Line - Needs Work

Then when you've worked on that person, give them a new flag

Direct Line - Work Done

You can use other flags to identify more distant relatives and keep track of the different parts of your family that way.

You can go through the Sources one at a time and make them better and more standard without have to relink them to everyone who they apply to.

You can work on Places separately to sort them out.

But I really would not even contemplate starting over - when I've seen others discuss this on facebook and other forums my head almost explodes - I will NEVER contemplate this on my file which has over 18,000 people in it.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mrstucci View Post
      I am wanting to start all over with my family file. I want a clean start of my direct line that I can add photos, documents and sources to.
      I totally agree with Roger, fix what you have, you may find (the day after you trash the 'unrelated' ancestors that they are indeed, your ancestors).

You can make any kind of report you want, after everything is tidied up, and someone will love you for a well sourced family tree (do try to encourage someone in the next, or next generation).
      Last edited by Frank; 08 October 2013, 04:55 PM.
      Mary Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
        I would really seriously consider not doing that - start with what you've got and improve it - you can easily identify for example all of your direct ancestors and their families, and give them a flag for example

Direct Line - Needs Work

Then when you've worked on that person, give them a new flag

Direct Line - Work Done

You can use other flags to identify more distant relatives and keep track of the different parts of your family that way.

You can go through the Sources one at a time and make them better and more standard without have to relink them to everyone who they apply to.

You can work on Places separately to sort them out.

But I really would not even contemplate starting over - when I've seen others discuss this on facebook and other forums my head almost explodes - I will NEVER contemplate this on my file which has over 18,000 people in it.

Roger
        Thanks for the comments, both of you. I guess I thought that my ADD mind could focus better if I had a 'clean slate' staring back at me instead of the indirect ancestors that keep begging for my attention.

So I would start with the Mark option along the left side of my family file and then choose what? Or do you not recommend marking anyone? Just do use the flags?

I appreciate your guidance (both of you)!!! Judy
        Last edited by Deb; 12 October 2013, 09:37 PM.
        2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Originally posted by mrstucci View Post
          Thanks for the comments, both of you. I guess I thought that my ADD mind could focus better if I had a 'clean slate' staring back at me instead of the indirect ancestors that keep begging for my attention.

So I would start with the Mark option along the left side of my family file and then choose what? Or do you not recommend marking anyone? Just do use the flags?

I appreciate your guidance (both of you)!!! Judy
          Flags would be better since they're permanent once set - whereas a set of Marked Cards is lost as soon as you do any other marking or unmarking.

Yes, you can Save a Marked Set to recall it later, but I think using Flags would be easier, then you can set up a search preset to search for people that still have a particular flag set so you can find them to work on during any subsequent session.

Roger
          Roger Moffat
          http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
          http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Working...
          X