This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indexing a surname

I'm having trouble with my first entry of the surname L'Aoust, which i am finding in the French Huguenot registers in abundance! We can't do anything about its coinciding with an early spelling of the French for August, but what am I doing wrong in respect of its indexing in Reunion?
    The name has appeared correctly as Jaques L'Aoust in Family View, and it appears in the People index (see attachment - if I manage to attach the image!) but is not revealed by looking for l', L', 'A or A. What can I do to make the name searchable, without actually changing its structure?
    Attached Files

Re: Indexing a surname

Originally posted by Brian Millo View Post
    I'm having trouble with my first entry of the surname L'Aoust, which i am finding in the French Huguenot registers in abundance! We can't do anything about its coinciding with an early spelling of the French for August, but what am I doing wrong in respect of its indexing in Reunion?
    The name has appeared correctly as Jaques L'Aoust in Family View, and it appears in the People index (see attachment - if I manage to attach the image!) but is not revealed by looking for l', L', 'A or A. What can I do to make the name searchable, without actually changing its structure?
    If you look in the help file that accompanies Reunion you will see the following:-

Do not use quotes (single or double), apostrophes, or other punctuation marks in the search box

Comment

Re: Indexing a surname

Thanks, Steve. I had certainly missed that small but essential point! Had you not responded with the solution I was going to change all my L'Aoust entries to Laoust in view of the fact that the family turned out to be very inconsistent in the use of the apostrophe anyway. I'm much obliged...

Comment

Working...
      X