This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a problem with edit place names

I realized tonight that I had a couple of "duplicate" place names that I was using in my family file. Well, nearly duplicate - aside from being a little incomplete.

Had I thought about it for a second, I would have remembered that I could just merge the incomplete place name with the complete one in the Places list. But that's not what I did.

Instead, I copied the complete name and pasted it over the incomplete one in the Places list. And this has now created an odd problem for me.

What was once "Capestrano, Abruzzo, Italy" (and what I had hoped to turn into "Capestrano, L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy") now appears as "[[pt:186]]". What in the world is that?!

To make it worse, I can't locate "[[pt:186]]" anywhere in my Places list. I've tried searching on "[" and "186", but I can't find it anywhere. Otherwise I would find it, merge it and go on about my business.

I've rebuilt the cache files, but that didn't provide any relief.

About 1/8 of my ancestors hail from Capestrano, so it is used hundred of times in my file. So it's not going to be quick or easy to walk through and repair it by hand.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, I'd greatly appreciate it. (I'm using Reunion 10.0.6 on a MacBook Air running OS 10.8.5)

Thank you for your time!
    Ann
    Last edited by Deb; 06 January 2014, 04:10 PM.

Re: a problem with edit place names

I just tried running "Find and Replace".

Find and Replace finds no instances of the string: [[pt:186]] - even if I'm seeing it with my own eyes.

However - I can Find it if I search for it via "Look for..." People with [[pt:186]] in their Birth Place, for example.

I may have quite a lot of copy and paste in my future to repair what I did

Comment

Originally posted by arotolante View Post
      Find and Replace finds no instances of the string: [[pt:186]] - even if I'm seeing it with my own eyes.
      I'd suggest you write to the Reunion help desk before trying anything else.
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

Yes - I read on here somewhere that [[pt:186]] will be the internal reference that reunion places on that particular address. I would agree that you should definitely contact the help desk before doing anything drastic.

Comment

Thank you!

I went ahead and contacted Help via email since it's the weekend.

I'll sit tight and see what they suggest.

Best,
          Ann

Comment

Technical Support made repairs and now my file seems good as new.

<whew> that was scary!

Best,
            Ann

Comment

Working...
            X