X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding multimedia to sources

I'm new at this...

Is it necessary to add multimedia to all sources for each person/event?

For eg, for the 20 people who all are in the 1901 census, I have been duplicating the census and then adding the individual multimedia (usually pdf's) to the relevant person.
    I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
    Using Reunion 10
    Safari

Re: Adding multimedia to sources

There are different approaches to this (has been discussed many times) - but I think you've got it just right. I have over 60 of the 1901 so far. If you have your list of sources sorted as shown, then it's easy to find the nearest look-alike for duplication/alteration, and of course attaching the new image. When you need them sorted by number, it's a simple matter to switch to that, and back, by clicking at the head of columns.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank-you, I'll keep plodding along then

I have attached a couple of files. The Census fields are the ones that were there when the original source was added. The source citation is what I use to add the detail of that source for a person in my family.

Do these look okay? Being new to this I'm not too sure what all the fields mean and if I have all the ones I need.
      Attached Files
      I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
      Using Reunion 10
      Safari

Comment

Another opinion: Record the sources? -- yes. Include copies in multimedia? -- optional based on your style of filing.

Long ago, I realized that I rarely need to look at a particular census page again once I record the source data. I keep these in a separate file organized by family names
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          Another opinion: Record the sources? -- yes. Include copies in multimedia? -- optional based on your style of filing.

Long ago, I realized that I rarely need to look at a particular census page again once I record the source data. I keep these in a separate file organized by family names
          I have filed all records and other information on each person in folders on my computer as well so I see your point about whether to add the multi media to the source or not...I'll have a think about this as it is extra work.

Being new to this though I am not too sure what information I should put in the detail field of the source.

Any advice on this please?

Thank-you.
          I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
          Using Reunion 10
          Safari

Comment

Originally posted by The Wheeler Family View Post
            I have filed all records and other information on each person in folders on my computer as well so I see your point about whether to add the multi media to the source or not...I'll have a think about this as it is extra work.

Being new to this though I am not too sure what information I should put in the detail field of the source.

Any advice on this please?

Thank-you.
            I reviewed some tips at Genealogy.com where he suggested that once you have created the "main" folder for a person and a source is needed for multiple people to create an alias which would direct you back to the original document without having so many actual copies of the record. If you have 10 people on one census sheet couldn't you assign it one source number then just include that source and an alias under the multimedia sections? If my explanation doesn't make sense he has a short video here: http://genealogytools.com/toolbox/ scroll down to midway down the page and there is a series of links re: setting up folders and there is one on aliases, it might be more helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Keyes View Post
              I reviewed some tips at Genealogy.com where he suggested that once you have created the "main" folder for a person and a source is needed for multiple people to create an alias which would direct you back to the original document without having so many actual copies of the record. If you have 10 people on one census sheet couldn't you assign it one source number then just include that source and an alias under the multimedia sections? If my explanation doesn't make sense he has a short video here: http://genealogytools.com/toolbox/ scroll down to midway down the page and there is a series of links re: setting up folders and there is one on aliases, it might be more helpful.
              A very BIG thank-you for this! The videos are excellent! I will definitely work my way through my files and put them in this format.

So glad I am on holidays!
              I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
              Using Reunion 10
              Safari

Comment

...... am not too sure what information I should put in the detail field of the source. Any advice on this please?........
                You'll get all kinds of answers here and reading up on the subject. My principle is simple. Record sufficient information for a future user of my data to be able to find the source again. Occasionally, it is appropriate to include a note regarding locating the source.
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion14 & RT

Comment

Thank-you all so very much. It is good to get different ideas and find which ones feel right for me. I appreciate your willingness to help.

I have got lots to do
                  I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                  Using Reunion 10
                  Safari

Comment

I have attached a couple of files. The Census fields are the ones that were there when the original source was added.
                    I would suggest changing them to suit.
                    Do these look okay? Being new to this I'm not too sure what all the fields mean and if I have all the ones I need.
                    I've had a look at your fields, and would suggest an overhaul. The publisher of the 1901 England census is not Ancestry, but the UK government, or let's say the National Archives, or Public Record Office. Use one of those phrases, or 'PRO', if you want to include 'Publisher'. Ancestry just has images of the originals for you to use, as do other organisations.

The purpose of your source citation is to show where your information comes from, and so to enable someone else (or yourself later on when you've forgotten) to check it. The person checking might access the census in a quite different way, but the layout and content of the originals would be the same. Your source citation should help them find the right page to look on, and that is best done by something more or less like the attached.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Michael Talibard; 13 January 2014, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post

I've had a look at your fields, and would suggest an overhaul. The publisher of the 1901 England census is not Ancestry, but the UK government, or let's say the National Archives, or Public Record Office. Use one of those phrases, or 'PRO', if you want to include 'Publisher'. Ancestry just has images of the originals for you to use, as do other organisations.

The purpose of your source citation is to show where your information comes from, and so to enable someone else (or yourself later on when you've forgotten) to check it. The person checking might access the census in a quite different way, but the layout and content of the originals would be the same. Your source citation should help them find the right page to look on, and that is best done by something more or less like the attached.
                      Hope this helps.
                      I see your point.... so for a Birth Certificate, it would be satisfactory to include the info as in the attachment? I know the page no, etc is important when requesting a certificate.
                      Attached Files
                      I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                      Using Reunion 10
                      Safari

Comment

Hope this helps.
                        I could put the info relevant to each person in the 'Detail' field? Rather than making a separate source for each person? This would then show up in the Source list at the end of the report?
                        I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                        Using Reunion 10
                        Safari

Comment

Hope this helps.
                          A little light globe has just turned on in my head and I understand the point you are making!

I am set now and know the strategy I need to follow in putting together my tree.

Thank-you!
                          I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                          Using Reunion 10
                          Safari

Comment

A little light globe has just turned on in my head and I understand the point you are making!

I am set now and know the strategy I need to follow in putting together my tree.

Thank-you!
                            May I make that light shine a little brighter and further?

Despite the usefulness of Ancestry, data found there is not exactly a genuine source in many cases--as Michael points out. A copy of a census page is likely to be accurate, but treating the Ancestry copy as a source will have limited value if Ancestry becomes unavailable. Similarly, data found on Ancestry (or elsewhere) that someone has entered in their family tree may have typos or other errors that are not present in the actual source. In other words, if the source is merely the place where you or I found the data, further research is probably needed before the accuracy of the data is certain.
                            John McGee Leggett, Jr.
                            Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
                            Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

Yes it is shining brighter!

I now understand so much more about what the source citations are telling me and I will ensure it's this information that I record.

Thank-you all so very much, again.
                              I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                              Using Reunion 10
                              Safari

Comment

Working...
                              X