Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows software recommendation for Reunion export?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows software recommendation for Reunion export?

A distant relative who is a Windows user wants to acquire genealogical software that will correctly import my Reunion 10 GEDCOM. Is there a particular Windows program that is known to play well with Reunion? I don't think we'll be moving any data in the opposite direction, so a Reunion -> Windows recommendation is all I need. If it makes a difference, I always use the free-form source option.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Windows software recommendation for Reunion export?

One of the best Windows programs is Family Historian. Before changing to a Mac and Reunion in 2008, I used this and it's still got a good name . It has a good name for being very compatible with other progs and stores its files as gedcom files.
    It is British and designed by people who understand family history.
    Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Originally posted by jeverly View Post
      A distant relative who is a Windows user wants to acquire genealogical software that will correctly import my Reunion 10 GEDCOM. Is there a particular Windows program that is known to play well with Reunion? I don't think we'll be moving any data in the opposite direction, so a Reunion -> Windows recommendation is all I need. If it makes a difference, I always use the free-form source option.

You were OK until you mentioned "Free-form" source option. That IS a problem! Not so much from Reunion v10 or Windows genealogical programs point of view. It is, however, a super bad actor when transferring data via GEDCOM files in either direction. Some of your Free-form source material will get scrambled and / or lost during the transfer. A much safer bet is to use the predefined source types.

BTW, the problem is that the GEDCOM (v5.5) protocols are seriously out of date and do NOT transfer free-form sources very well at all!

Sorry to be the bearer of [some] bad news. Otherwise most modern versions of Windows Genealogical apps should work.
      Arnold
      -----
      RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

I highly recommend Legacy Family Tree 8 - http://www.legacyfamilytree.com. Your relative can download a free version (no limit on time used but many of the advance bells & whistles don't work or work just for a few items-see the website). You can then send them a small, trial GEDCOM to see how it works. If they want the full version, it is only $29.95.

Although I am a Reunion user from way back (and will continue to be...forever), I have installed Legacy Family Tree 8 on my Mac in a virtual Windows XP section through VMWare Fusion software. I have imported a GEDCOM and it seems to be okay. My sources came through fine. HOWEVER, I don't believe I have any Free-Form sources. I have it because of some of it's great bells & whistles and it's SourceWriter.

The Legacy people are great! I love their free webinars...most of the time their webinars are about generic genealogy content, not just for Legacy. I have been watching these webinars for over two years...LOVE WEBINAR WEDNESDAYS and sometimes Fridays and Saturdays! See their webinar page at http://www.familytreewebinars.com.

Anyway, a great program.
        Hope this is helpful.
        Kaye Mushalik
        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
        -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
        -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by rclrocco View Post
          One of the best Windows programs is Family Historian. Before changing to a Mac and Reunion in 2008, I used this and it's still got a good name . It has a good name for being very compatible with other progs and stores its files as gedcom files.
          It is British and designed by people who understand family history.
          Thank you for this recommendation. I'll take a look at the program.

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
            You were OK until you mentioned "Free-form" source option. That IS a problem! Not so much from Reunion v10 or Windows genealogical programs point of view. It is, however, a super bad actor when transferring data via GEDCOM files in either direction. Some of your Free-form source material will get scrambled and / or lost during the transfer. A much safer bet is to use the predefined source types.

BTW, the problem is that the GEDCOM (v5.5) protocols are seriously out of date and do NOT transfer free-form sources very well at all!

Sorry to be the bearer of [some] bad news. Otherwise most modern versions of Windows Genealogical apps should work.
            I greatly appreciate your advice, but with more than 16,000 people and 1,000+ free-form sources in my file . . . you know the rest. Maybe I can find a Windows program that also offers the free-form option.

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
              I highly recommend Legacy Family Tree 8 - http://www.legacyfamilytree.com. Your relative can download a free version (no limit on time used but many of the advance bells & whistles don't work or work just for a few items-see the website). You can then send them a small, trial GEDCOM to see how it works. If they want the full version, it is only $29.95.

Although I am a Reunion user from way back (and will continue to be...forever), I have installed Legacy Family Tree 8 on my Mac in a virtual Windows XP section through VMWare Fusion software. I have imported a GEDCOM and it seems to be okay. My sources came through fine. HOWEVER, I don't believe I have any Free-Form sources. I have it because of some of it's great bells & whistles and it's SourceWriter.

The Legacy people are great! I love their free webinars...most of the time their webinars are about generic genealogy content, not just for Legacy. I have been watching these webinars for over two years...LOVE WEBINAR WEDNESDAYS and sometimes Fridays and Saturdays! See their webinar page at http://www.familytreewebinars.com.

Anyway, a great program.
              Hope this is helpful.
              Thank you for this suggestion. My relative will appreciate being able to try the program before buying it.

Comment

Thank you for this suggestion. My relative will appreciate being able to try the program before buying it.
                Glad this might be helpful. Be sure your relative takes a look at the video for Beginners. There is a link on the home page > right side > down about halfway > "View the Legacy Training Videos for Beginners Now!". The first video is free to watch online - about 40 minutes but in short sections. Gives a good overview of what can be done in Legacy.

I tell ya, if I had to go to a Windows machine, Legacy would be my program of choice.

And, they support the general world-wide genealogy community, whether or not they are using the Legacy program. Their webinars are awesome (over 1000, from all over the world, attend each webinar)! There are some great, inexpensive QuickGuide PDFs (general genealogy topics) and other add-on and recommended products available.

Let us know what you and your relative decide and how the transfer went.
                Kaye Mushalik
                -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

I greatly appreciate your advice, but with more than 16,000 people and 1,000+ free-form sources in my file . . . you know the rest. Maybe I can find a Windows program that also offers the free-form option.
                  This problem is not, I repeat, NOT, a Windows application problem! It is caused by serious flaws in the GEDCOM protocols. Damage WILL occur EACH and EVERYTIME you transfer your data via GEDCOM protocols regardless of the receiving app on the Windows side!!!!

As much as it hurts, if you wish to transfer clean sources via GEDCOM protocols, you WILL need to rethink your strategy about using free-form sources.

Being fore-armed, is fore-warned! Start small, and test extensively!
                  Last edited by Deb; 21 March 2014, 08:21 AM.
                  Arnold
                  -----
                  RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
                    This problem is not, I repeat, NOT, a Windows application problem! It is caused by serious flaws in the GEDCOM protocols. Damage WILL occur EACH and EVERYTIME you transfer your data via GEDCOM protocols regardless of the receiving app on the Windows side!!!!

As much as it hurts, if you wish to transfer clean sources via GEDCOM protocols, you WILL need to rethink your strategy about using free-form sources.

Being fore-armed, is fore-warned! Start small, and test extensively!
                    Thank you!

Comment

You're going to be OK moving Reunion 10 data to any MSoft genealogy program. The gedcom transfer works smoothly. Gedcom from a MSoft program to Reunion needs one tweak. Before importing the MSoft gedcom, open it in TextEdit and do a Find/Replace to change all instances of 2 CAUS to ! CAUS. Otherwise Reunion will put cause of death in the death memo. This change puts it in the Cause of death Fact where it belongs.

Comment

Not always the case - each software package seems to have its quirks. For example Family Tree Maker doesn't seem to like suffixes.

Comment

Family Historian. No competition. If only it was available for mac. Until it is, there's always reunion.

Comment

Jeverly,

What has happened with you and your relative? Has a genealogy program been decided on?
                            Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Working...
                            X